one month old and waking up to feed....?

do i still wake her up every two hours or......

when can i start letting her sleep longer 'cause she is wanting to stay asleep at the two and a half mark. she gets mad when i wake her and barely eats.....(she is gaining perfect weight with waking her at every two hours and she eats more then her share lol during the day time fyi...)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:18 AM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Why are you waking your baby every two hours?

If your baby is breastfed and full term you want to feed 8-12 times every 24 hours. If the baby is sleeping 8 hours you would want to wake to feed at about 4 hours.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:21 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• By the time our son was a month old he started sleeping about 6hrs at night. We would not wake him. Are you doing strict scheduling or feeding on demand? Your baby will let you know when they are hungry, so when you feed her & she is not eating much it is because she is not hungry. Try not to force-feed a baby when they are not hungry...it can stretch their stomach & cause weight problems later on down the road. Every baby is different too...some will want to eat every couple hours, some will want longer breaks inbetween. Follow the cues of your baby.
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 3:28 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• dont let her go more than 4 hours at that age mama. thats the recommended time-breast or bottle. if she is sleeping, let her rest. at that 4 hour mark slowly wake her and let her take what she can-even just a couple ounces. if she goes a lil longer its fine. she is old enough to go this long-lol and let ya know how hungry she is when she wakes. good luck mama.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 3:59 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I always woke my kids every 3 hours during the day, but after they were a week old and breastfeeding was well established I let them sleep as long as they would at night.

Answer by missanc at 8:28 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I don't know where some people get their information. I have seen wake them after 5, but after a month old, I haven't heard any recommendations to wake. This is, of course, provided the baby is gaining weight normally.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 9:06 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I never woke my babies to feed them except for the first. He was a preemie and they told me to wake him every 3 hours until he hit five pounds. My other two babies, at a month they were sleeping 5 to 6 hours at night. Let the baby sleep and get yourself some sleep.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• A one month old who is gaining weight just fine? Follow baby's lead! If they sleep for a longer stretch at night (4-6 hours) they will "Make up" for it during the day by eating a little more frequently. Breastfed babies will often "cluster feed" first thing in the morning and/or in the evening to make up for missed feedings during a longer sleep. As long as they are gaining well and nursing 8-12 times in 24 hours you can let them sleep as long as they like!!!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:20 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I wouldn't wake the baby to eat. Thank your lucky stars and get some sleep while you can. Congratulations on the new one! :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 12:53 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Let the baby sleep! :)
    mercilove

Answer by mercilove at 1:41 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• ONLY wake if baby isn't wetting, making milestones or gaining weight. If you're doing fine in that trio...then let the baby sleep. She'll start waking frequently soon enough anyway. Sleep patterns are purely temporary in the first year.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:04 PM on Mar. 29, 2010