Help?! bedwetting...

My 10 year old son is still having problems with wetting the bed at night. He have taken him to the doc and she said that he will probably just stop on his own by the age of 12. I limit his drinks after 6:30 bc he normally goes to bed around 8:30. Has anyone else had the same issue? What can I do besides wait? I'm really getting tired of washing sheets and blankets every day...

rlhall1980

Asked by rlhall1980 at 6:25 AM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Buy him some underjams or make him wash his own bedding.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:33 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I am very sensitive to this subject because I wet the bed all the way up till I was about 13 yrs old. and you think its hard on you its way more hard on your child. I know that your frusterated with washing the sheets constantly but he doesnt mean to, you think he wants to lay in pee all night? Thats one thing that my mom was really good about, she never made me feel like I was in the wrong and would wake me up every single night to go potty even though she had bought me over night adult diapers to help with not having to wash as many sheets. Thats what a mom does, so hang in there hopfeully for his sake it will be over with soon. My mom also would take me to the doctors growing up cause we thought something was wrong and really never found anything. I could tell you from my perspective that I just simply could not wake up and litterally thought I was on the toilet and would just go pee. Nothing I could do abou it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:55 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• just make sure he goes before bed, stand outside the door and you can hear him go. if he can't do this himself you got to be there for him and make sure he goes. gl ;)
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 8:20 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Bedwetting is caused by a number of factors, but mainly children sleep so deeply their brain does not recognize the full bladder signal. Thats why bedwetting alarms work so well. they condition the brain to recognize and respond to a full bladder. My son wet the bed until he was eight years old. We used an alarm and he was dry every night within 8 weeks. I highly recommend the children's book, Prince Bravery and Grace-Attack of the Wet Knights. Its a clever story about a Prince who defeats the "wet nights" by eventually using an alarm. It really helps a child understand the process in a fun, kid friendly way. www.braveryandgrace.com has lots of positive information about bedwetting. Get the book and then an alarm - As a mom, I can tell you that it is a bit of work at first, but the joy on your child's face when he realizes he has learned to stay dry is worth every single second of missed sleep.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• My son who is 7 still has this problem too, they really can't help it and you can't help but be frustrated. I am sure you've tried everything there is to try. Just remember it's not a defect, it is just a temporary dilema. NO matter what, never shame him. I like the PP's idea of that book. Hang in there mama, this too shall pass.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 6:14 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Our DD is 12 and on occasion still wets the bed. The ped says that she will outgrow it by the time her hormones "kick in" completely. Other thing he said was if 1 parent was a bed wetter, 50% chance child will be. If BOTH parents were bed wetters, 80% chance child will be. She was in the "lucky" 80%!
    Anonymous

• I come from a family who has manufactured these for years and has personally seen this change many lives.
    www.enularm.com
    Xandrii

Answer by Xandrii at 12:57 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• My child wet the bed every night until we used a bedwetting alarm at age 8. It took about 6 weeks of consistent use BUT it was worth every single second of hassle. At the end of the 6 weeks he was COMPLETELY DRY EVERY SINGLE NIGHT AND NEVER WET THE BED AGAIN! Now i suppose he might have outgrown it in a year but that would have been 365 more wet nights!!! And there are kids who still wet at 14 or 15... that's 6 or 7 more YEARS!
    Alarms are scientifically proven effective. At age 8 the bedwetting was definitely beginning to hurt my sons self esteem. The joy on his face when he realized he had learned to stop the bedwetting made it completely worth it! Two key factors- Parents MUST help the child wake up at first, (within 2 weeks my son woke up himself) and dont let your child quit too soon. The book Prince Bravery and Grace -Attack of the Wet Knights is great to introduce alarms. www.braveryandgrace.com
    megan-amom

Answer by megan-amom at 11:31 AM on Sep. 21, 2010