2012?!?!?!

what is it, and what's 'scientifically' supposed to happen? [if any]. read up on sites, but mostly sites written by preteen paranoids and adults who watch too many science fiction movies. i did read that we're supposed to have a strong set of flares, strongest in 26,000 years, again though, could have been one of the above writing it. any real nasa data on this? i'm not saying i do or don't believe it, but i'd like to know other's opinions? not everyone has john cusack to lead them through the Apocalypse. ;]

Cowbell88

Asked by Cowbell88 at 7:30 AM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Hmm I do not know about the scientific but I DO know that the calander is not ENDING its just starting a new cycle. In mayan beliefe time was not linear. It moved in cycles. Every 5,125 years the cycle starts over. I know that some claim there will be a massive solar flare but I highly doubt it. IF something happens it will be coincedental since the mayan calander has cycled many times in the past and "doom" has not come any of those times.
    Tf1990

Answer by Tf1990 at 7:51 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• tf, thanks very much for the info. yes, i heard about the mayan long count calender too, according to some of the reading i did, on NORMAL [lol] websites, it's very much like a speedometer?
    Cowbell88

Answer by Cowbell88 at 7:59 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• It will be a day like any other....the sun is no where NEAR ready to die off.
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 8:07 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Yes that is basically what its like. I think we will be fine. The only event I expect in 2012 is the olympics. (Not to say that it isn't good to be prepared for a natural disaster because just even though 2012 is probably just another y2k scare it doesn't mean there aren't going to be regular natural disasters like Katrina and the earth quake in Hati.)
    Tf1990

Answer by Tf1990 at 8:10 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Oh dear god...

NOTHING is supposed to happen. Nothing catastrophic, anyway. The doomsday thing was created by an artist in the 70's who ate too many mushrooms.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:37 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Scientifically all we know is that the earth, sun and universal center are to align. Now, what this will cause is beyond the understanding of anyone at this point. I would guess the normal things like tidal changes, earthquakes and storms. Any time the earths gravity is greatly altered (which this will cause) the weather goes extreme... And seeing how it will be December and most of us will be under 2 feet of snow at the time, we may be looking at blizzards. But this has happened before - 26000 years ago - and guess what, the earth is still here. So I don't see it as this great earth destroying force, although it can cause some damage, but we really won't have the answers as to what without it actually happening...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:50 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Magnetic pole shift and higher intensity of solar flares.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 11:34 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I suspect that we'll go to bed and wake up bright and early on Dec. 22, 2012. The cosmic alignment seems to be making the weather and natural disasters a lot more extreme. There are more volcanic eruptions and earthquakes. Hurricanes are stronger, and some places that have never known severe weather--like the southern U.S.--are experiencing snow, hail, and so on. No one can agree what 12-20-2012 means, other than the changing of an Mayan calendar. Not even the brightest scientific minds of our century. And until we get there, WE aren't going to know what it means either.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 5:03 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Their really is no proof it means any thing. However some scientists speculate that this is when the world will end. They say this because that is when anceint civilization calenders end. Though there could really be many reasons for this. However there are other scientist who say that is just how far they got on the calenders before they died.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 5:19 PM on Mar. 29, 2010