At what point does the selfish label transfer?

If people who opposed health insurance reform are selfish for not wanting people to have access to insurance, even if it means they'll lose their job, how many job losses make it ok to call the person who likes health insurance reform selfish? Every 10 jobs? 100? 1000? Is there no cost that's too much for someone else to have a (maybe) lower doctor's bill?

Say in exchange for one person who doesn't have insurance today getting in under the new medicaid guidelines in 4 years, 50 people lose their jobs. That's a reasonable figure, thousands of cuts have already been announced and the provisions haven't even kicked in yet. Is medicaid for one worth 50 unemployed?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:05 AM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Of course because they can get on government insurance too at least they will have that..at least they will have SOMETHING! lol no matter if they can feed their famlies or keep a roof over their heads..no matter if it causes them to go through any savings they may have had..meh small potatoes they will have the government insurance ;)

Seriously though watching all of this is like watching a big ass train going off the tracks and headed right for us.More and more people without jobs is not a good thing no matter how someone tries to slice it.Shrinking private business and growing government is not good for the economy.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:13 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Selfishness of libs began long ago.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:31 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• It doesn't matter either way. I doubt there is anyone who isreally being selfish. There is no one out ther who just doesn't want the next guy to have what they have. It's true that my reasons for not wanting it include the fact that it will raise my costs in a multitude of ways but it will make 85% of Americans insurance and health care costs go up also.
    I don't think people on the other side are openly selfish either but it does come closer. There are many people who think giving of ourselves is where it is all at and those with should welcome giving freely to those without. I'd like to hear some reasoning behind that. I think there is no good reason, they just believe no one should be without and everything should be fair.
    I wonder why they don't think its fair for everyone to pay the same amount of taxes if it is fair for everyone to have the same insurance and HC even if it costs 85% more..
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:32 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Please stop saying that libs are the only selfish ones. Lying by omission doesn't suit you.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:34 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• As long as it isn't them,personally losing their jobs~ they won't care.  

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:37 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

Well, considering over the weekend it was said numerous times that Liberals are FOR THE PEOPLE. And Republicans are the greedy selfish ones.. I think she has every right to ask this question...  I, personally think there is greed everywhere... But if the responses on CM dictate from some liberals that just Republicans are greedy, then I by all means, she should ask..

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:40 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Well said grly.It has been posted here uncountable time's that conservatives are just selfish and this that and the other.Really though that stuff doesn't really matter what matter's is this shit is not good for America not good for the economy not good for many who are losing their jobs.Alot of these folks likely had insurance through their jobs too.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:49 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• What do you call it when they support legislation that will bring down all the peoples quality of insurance to the lowest quality to be equal? I call it selfish. Unselfish would be to strive on an individual basis for the top.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:59 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I have to agree, this whole selfish thing is driving me nuts. I think when you are opposed to something that does not affect you, then yes, maybe the selfish label is OK to throw around-but when it comes to something like this where people have real concerns about how it will affect them dramatically, the calling them selfish is just a political tactic. As I have said many times, if worrying about the health and stability of my family makes me selfish-it is a label I will wear. And Carpy, your point is my point- what good is poor care for all is not something I find to be appealing.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:24 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Don't forget "heartless".

It's the same as "racist" if you disagree with Obama's policies.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:39 AM on Mar. 29, 2010