Is anyone using the picture exchange program for their semi-verbal ASD kids?

My daughter's ot wants to try the picture exchange program. My concern is she wants to be verbal but the introduction of pictures has caused her to speak less. I'm just looking for others experiences with the program.

twinbliss267

Asked by twinbliss267 at 8:21 AM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Kids' Health

• We used it with my son when he was younger/less verbal. Once he could say a word though we made him say both the word and use the picture. Having the pictures for items he couldn't yet say was very helpful and cut down immensely on tantrums. He is 12 now and graduated from pictures as he learned to read words.

Answer by missanc at 8:26 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• We used PECS for years with my partially verbal son with HFA. The PECS were wonderful for choice boards & schedules because they cut down so much on his frustrations. When he was overwhemled by too much stimuli, he could grab a PEC and quickly communicate his need/want. Once he handed us the PEC, we would ask him if "x" was what he needed and he would have to respond "yes, x is what I need", then we'd give him whatever it was he was asking for. Eventually, he started using the PECS less and words more and we went to only using the PECS for visual schedules, then eventually phased those out, too.
    Anonymous