How do I keep my pug smelling clean/fresh?

I just got a 2 year old pug from someone. He smelled like dog so I gave him a bath as soon as we got home. I bathed him with some oatmeal dog shampoo. The same day that I bathed him he smelled like dog again. (stinky) He doesn't go outside except to use the restroom. Is there a way to keep him smelling clean/fresh? I know you aren't supposed to over bathe pugs. I bought doggie cologne but it only works for that same day. My spouse doesn't want me to get him groomed b/c it costs $24.99 and even then I'm not sure how long he'd smell clean. Another fear is that when your dog smells like stinky dog your house will too and I'd like to keep that from happening.

momoflilangel

Asked by momoflilangel at 8:29 AM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Pets

• What is he eating? Sometimes low quality food can make dogs stink because of excess oils/yeast on the skin.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 8:38 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Did you clean the cracks on his face and his ears? Pugs get SUPER smelly in their cracks and can get yeast infections on their faces if it isn't cleaned out on a regular basis. They also need their anal glands drained by a vet because that smells terribly too.

-xoxo-

Answer by -xoxo- at 8:33 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• My aunt who lives in a mansion,lol has two pugs. She usually throws them in the bathtub and also uses candles room deodorizers and always brings them to the groomers.GL. It is upkeep. But they are cute.
    bella69147

Answer by bella69147 at 8:34 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• He doesn't like me to clean the wrinkles on his face (he squirms) so I get them daily as best as I can. And he was eating Purina Beneful when I got him but I am switching him to Newman's Own Organic Dog food where corn isn't the #1 ingredient.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 8:58 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• It could be that he has a skin infection. That can cause and odor and like Collinbaylee said the food can do this as well if it is not a good quality.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:59 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Try using a babywipe to clean his face. Check his ears for infection too. Also a dental cleaning may be in order if his previous owner fed him tiny kibble of wet dog food. Just check his teeth. Look closely puppy plaque can be pink yellow green or brown. You should give him a rawhide every couple days to keep his teeth clean if they aren't now.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 9:28 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I dont know many dogs that dont smell like a dog. I have a puggle and bathe him every few weeks...he smells like a dog within hours after bathing. I Febreze my furniture and curtains, use carpet fresh and a nice smelling all purpose cleaner on floors and wood furniture. I have people tell me they cant believe I have a cat and dog, my house doesnt smell like animals. I dont think you are going to get rid of the dog smell on your dog, its to be expected. If it is a different smell than dog it could be his wrinkles arent getting cleaned well enough, my puggle doesnt have but only a few wrinkles and they get yucky if you dont clean them real good everyday and around their eyes need to be washed everyday because they have weepy eyes. Let me know if you find a way to get rid of the dog smell.
    mbc324

Answer by mbc324 at 9:34 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Bathe him in white vinegar if its really bad. If its not terrible, use a paste of baking soda and water. Just go easy to avoid drying his skin. Also-rinse his mouth out with some watered down mouthwash. Tom's of Maine makes some that would be okay for dogs. Listerine and the like can upset the tummy. I have three dogs and a cat and most of the time things don't smell icky around here. Hope this helps!
    MarinesGirlie

Answer by MarinesGirlie at 7:32 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• thats a good price for the grooming so maybe u should look at it as upkeep and go for it. if he has a yeast infection in his wrinkles that would explain y he doest lk u cleaning them. yeast makes the skin very sore and it needs to b treated with s special cream. also when u take him to the vet for that u could also ask about the odor. there is normal doggy smell and then there is a smell that is from an infection or other things that can b treated. dogs need care and upkeep and that is all part of being a responsible pet owner. find a good vet and make sure he gets his shots and whatever else he needs. u and he will all b happier and healthier. gl
    Anonymous