Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to get a job after a felony charge? (Nashville area)

Ok, here is the story- 13 years ago my little brother got a felony for drug possession. He got 4 weekends in jail and 3 years probation. This was an eye opener for him. He went to rehab and has now been clean 12 years. He has even mentored others. Now he has lost his job and cannot find another. The felony has never shown up but now it is. My dad's savings is completely gone after trying to help him out. This really sucks. Does anyone know of any companies hiring ex-felons or know of anyone in the Nashville area that would be willing to help?


Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Money & Work

Answers (5)
  • This is strange to me.I found out last year that this is something that you CAN get taken out of the system or closed after 7 yrs.You go through an advocate community based organization.I know they were doing it in CT.So that people who couldn't get jobs due to these exact circumstances, could as of mabee even 2 yrs ago to date.You have to fill out a paper and someone has to put it through the court house.So mabee you can call the town court house or the town hall to get the info.But don't give up because I know this IS possible, especially for that charge! Good luck.It might be throuhg JOBS 1ST, I don't know what your state/ town would call it.Or A job center.It really works.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

  • Maybe it is nit the felony, it is hard to find a job now

    Answer by awelling at 10:21 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

  • You definitely need to contact the courthouse where the case was processed. There are limits in each state on how long something can be used to prevent you from getting a job - unless it is violence or sex crime in nature. The only exceptions to these hiring practices are legal, police, and military jobs. They can use pretty much whatever they want for as long as they want.

    Answer by mrsfitz05 at 12:26 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

  • You can pay and have the record expunged after 7 years. You will need to contact an attorney to find out all the details though. My DH has felonies and it has caused some issues for him. Check out to. it's a social site like this is, but it's for people who are felons or who love felons that want to get back in to normal life... There are lots of people there who may be able to help some more.

    Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:47 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

  • felony charge, no college degree.. doesn't matter. Check out for ideas and info all in one place

    Answer by imomnews at 10:31 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.