She's sick again!!!

My SD (almost 4) has been sick on and off since January. The girls started daycare in December, so at first, I just attributed the sickness to that. And to the fact that she has a fairly weak immune system anyway.
But this is just getting ridiculous. Stomach flu 3 times, 2 horrible colds (with fever up to 105), and 1 really bad cough. Her fever has gotten high so often, and she's miserable. I've taken her to 2 pediatricians, the emergency room, and another urgent care facility. They pumped her full of antibiotics each time and they're wearing on her system so bad, I don't feel like it's right to give her any more. No one has an answer, except, "Kids just get sick".
I'm not a panicky mom, but this is really starting to worry me. It's sad for my poor SD and exhausting for my husband and I.
Any suggestions? I feel so lost...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• ok, i don't believe that daycare is a recipe for a sick child. my kids have been through preschool, and one is in kindergarten...neither boy has missed a day of school.
    overuse of antibiotics could have destroyed her good bacteria...i would go to a healthfood store and ask for help in choosing a very good probiotic for a sickly child. i do not medicate my kids for fevers. the risk of organ damage occurs around 106.7 or 107.6, and unless there is a pre existing neurological condition, the body will not reach this temp unless overexposed to heat...a fever will not cause brain damage in a normal child. antibiotics, tylenol and motrin can prevent the body overcoming a virus or bacteria. these medications can make a child's immune system less effective.
    in order to be healthy we need to live a healthy lifestyle. we need to eat well, drink only water, exercise well, sleep well, love well. emotional stress should be kept low too!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 12:59 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• OP here- I forgot to mention the ear infections (3 of them) but no one wants to look close to see if she needs tubes. Trying to get into an Ear Nose and Throat doctor, but our insurance is pretty crappy. My hubby's looking into getting better coverage, this week.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• It could still be because of day care... When I was pregnant with my middle child I worked in a day care and every other week I had to spend at least a day, if not more at home because I came down with something. I stopped getting sick when I had to be put on bed rest. While I didn't adhere to the bedrest like I was supposed to, I was still doing better than when I was working. And she only came 3 weeks early with no problems. And when I put her in day care (a really nice one) she got ear infection after ear infection, The only thing that stoped them was when I took her out to be a sahm again. But I would still blame it on day care.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• This is what happens when kids start daycare. Daycare is a cesspool of germs. They share saliva with the passing of toys. Kids get all sorts of yucky things beyond the average virus or cold from daycare like hand foot mouth disease, 5th disease, and thrush.

If at all possible, take her out of daycare and stay with her again. She needs time to rest and recuperate away from the germy daycare kids. If you put her in daycare just so you could make some money, maybe you should evaluate how much your medical expenses will be if you keep her in daycare.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• OP here- Wow, I never realized the daycare situation was so bad. We definitely need the second income. I'm going to have to think of a way to make this work.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Not every daycare is bad! But kids will share toys and germs wherever they go, even school! I just advise you to keep trying new doctors and try to observe each daycare before you enroll her, make sure that the kids don't have green snot running down there faces (green is bad, clear is ok) then you can ask, ask, ask around your neighborhood about the daycare you are thinking about. if more than two familes recommend or don't recommend then trust that and go with it. I'm a single mom and i don't have a choice about daycare, but i do have a choice about which one they go to!
    queentokemi

Answer by queentokemi at 10:31 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• OP again-
    just for the record- the daycare itself is amazing. highly recommended (somewhat pricey, but worth it for the level of care), great teachers, impressive and fun curriculum, etc... i did tons of research.
    Anonymous