How much one-on-one time should a mom spend with her toddler in a giving day?

Meaning undivided attention to your toddler.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• undivided? 30 minutes-2-3 x a day is my goal-- they are always with me or DH but we try 1:1 for 3 30 min sessions a day-- othertimes we are playing but also doing something-- like making dinner or cleaning-- but nmy toddler joins in-- I turn up toddler tunes and we dust-- then switch to some Taylor Swift and we mop and if I"m baking they love to "count the eggs measure the liquids so on an so on
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:52 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• As much as possible
    awelling

Answer by awelling at 9:49 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• As much as you can spare without losing your sanity.... especially if you use that time to squeeze in some learning, like talking about the colors or shapes of his blocks or even counting them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I spend probably a couple hours on the floor with him in a day, sometimes less. I'm interacting with him all throughout the day though, on the floor or not. If I'm just sitting on the couch, he'll come up to me and hand me books, trucks, blocks, etc., and I'll explain what everything is. The differents parts of the truck, what's on the blocks, and so on. My son is very independent and usually just enjoys playing on his own, which I think is also very important for toddlers to do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• whatever works for your family imo. i think it varies by the child. some toddlers are very independent and are content coloring alone, or playing cars, and then playing w/ mom or dad here and there. others need/want more attention. of course if you have a toddler and newborn twins, then you just have to do what you can!!! :)
    Anonymous

• I try to think of it this way -- MOST of the time you are with them you should be able to be in a place that if your child needs your attention, you're free to give it. Having two young kids (1.5 and 3), neither gets a lot of one-on-one time each day, if by that you mean no one else is around and I am doing nothing but watching them.
    Anonymous

• I'd several several 30 minute (or so) intervals throughout the day if you stay at home with them. I work during the week and my hubby watches him (he works the weekends). We probably play with him for 4 or so lengthy periods consistently throughout the day. Between meals, story time, bath time, and bed time, there is probably a good 2 hours of personal one-on-one time spent between our son and either myself or hubby. And we frequently do more than that. : )
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 4:31 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Thank you to all the posters. Special thanks to awe, mel, ans mick. op
    Anonymous