Adopting a special needs child

Can anyone tell me how difficult it is to adopt a Downs Syndrome baby? We are really thinking this is what we are ment to do. If anyone can give me some advice it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Adoption

• i can't give you any advice but i can say that you must have a big heart. i want to adopt too but can't afford it. good luck and if this is ment to be keep fighting!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I have no idea, but it would likely be challenging. If you feel you are up for the challenge, do some research on downs syndrome, and if you think you are up for it, go for it. You will likely need lots of patients. GL to you guys!
    Anonymous

• You can send me a messege if you want to know more about special needs adoption. I can share some info with you that I wouldn't want to post here. :)
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 10:14 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Send me a message, I know someone who is here on CafeMom who just recently adopted a little girl with Down Syndrome, I'm sure she could give you a lot of information.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 10:26 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I've always wanted a DS baby. I, too, felt like I was meant to adopt one... so I know where you're coming from. Unfortunately I don't have the finances to adopt right now. I pray that one day I will have the money so I can help someone. I'll be praying for you, and Good Luck!
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 10:59 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Hope this is helpful we have a family member that has a child with DS.They found out early in the preg. and took the opportunity to join support groups,info groups they learned a myriad of information ,options available and so much more.They shared this with any family that was interested.If you are leaning this way you may want to look into doing this as you wait.It worked great for my BIL and SIL, btw my niece is a doll.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 11:28 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• People Magazine recently had an article about a woman who specializes in connecting DS kids with families.The organization is called "Reece's Rainbow". They may be able to help provide some direction. You might also pick up the book The Adoption Resource Book" by Lois Gilman. it may also have some useful information. Many adoption agencies are always looking for families willing to adopt special needs kids. You might contact a few local ones and see what they say.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I have a total of 12 kids, 11 of which we have adopted from the foster care system. Our youngest little one is 3 1/2 years old (she's been home a little over a year) and has Down Syndrome. She is the biggest joy, tiniest angel, and biggest personality all balled up into the cutest package. We would love to adopt another child with Down Syndrome as well. We would adopt through Reese's Rainbow if we could. They have a listing of children from other countries who are in serious need of adoption. Without a family soon many of the children end up in mental institutions which is unbelievable to me. There is also a lady named Robin Steele who has a listing of parents who are wanting to adopt a child with Down Syndrome. She is able to share that list with birthmothers who will hopefully choose adoption over abortion for these wonderful kids. PM me and I'll give you her email.
    mommy9

Answer by mommy9 at 11:22 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I agree with both anons 9:59,:) lol.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:46 AM on Apr. 3, 2010