Is it ok to use meat and poultry which is past it's expiration, sell by, or use by date?

I have some beef brisket and chicken leg quarters in the fridge which I bought on 3/22 and then never used. The expiration date for the chicken was 3/25. There is no expiration date on the beef. None of the the meat or poultry looks or smells bad and it has been in the fridge for the entire time (not frozen). Is it still safe to use in recipes and to eat? How long past the expiration, sell by, or use by dates can you still use meat and poultry?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I will use it unless it has a funky odor or has changed color.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:13 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I usually have a 3-5 day rule about using meat that hasnt been frozen..but if it doenst smell, and the beef hasnt turned brown I would say season it up and cook it..but definitely do it TODAY!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 10:41 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Actually, I took a nutrition class, and the nutritionist said that it doesn't have to smell or look bad to have bad bacteria. You might get away with it, but I personally would err on the side of caution and throw it out, it's not worth getting sick over.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:42 PM on Mar. 29, 2010