what if your in-laws just came over without calling first even though they live 90 minutes away?

what would you think?

my in-laws did this yesterday, and i like my in-laws but i just thought it was so weird that they didn't call first. we might have not been home, we might have had plans for later, anything.

my husband had to leave for work half an hour after they got there. when they first got there my son had just fallen asleep for his nap, and it woke him up, but then he went back to sleep thank goodness.

it didn't really change my plans much other than i was planning to fix dinner, and do laundry, but then they wanted to go to the restaurant my husband works at for dinner. which i didn't mind of course.

i guess if we weren't even home, they would have just turned around and gone back home ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Yeah, I am a big believer in calling first ALWAYS. My mom lives 7 minutes away and I always call.
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 10:16 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• My parents live about that far away, and they do show up unannounced sometimes. They live on a ranch and we live in the biggest city in the area. They have to come to where we live to do any major shopping or go to the doctor, so it's not like they just drive all that way to see us. I don't think any of my in-laws would ever show up without at least calling.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• That would be quite weird for a number of reasons. (Mine have passed.) I'm glad you weren't in the middle of spring cleaning. Did anybody ask them why they didn't call first?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I would be really surprise and little bit mad since my family seems to show up every time my house is a mess.
    Energ8zr

Answer by Energ8zr at 10:20 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• This is precisely why we do not live in the same town as my husband's family. They feel if you are family, it is an open door policy and they can visit at any time.

We are a good 6+ hrs away and they have to plan to visit us.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:20 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• My in-laws only live 15 mins away and they never come by! I guess I would be glad for any kind of visit, announced or not! Maybe they planned on eating at that restraunt anyway and if you weren't home they would have gone anyway.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Answered at 9:19 AM on Mar. 29, 2010 by: Anonymous
    Anonymous
    That would be quite weird for a number of reasons. (Mine have passed.) I'm glad you weren't in the middle of spring cleaning. Did anybody ask them why they didn't call first?

they said they were just going for a drive. lol. my FIL said "this was NOT my idea". i think he was embarrassed and didn't know that that was the plan until after they set out on a "drive"
    -OP

Answered at 9:20 AM on Mar. 29, 2010 by:
    * Energ8zr
    I would be really surprise and little bit mad since my family seems to show up every time my house is a mess.

yeah our house was a total mess!! things are never very clean and tidy at our house but i'm pregnant so it's even worse. ;)
    -OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Mine do I don't care I'm just glad they want to see the kids
    awelling

Answer by awelling at 10:24 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• ugh, i can't stand that. we used to live closer to his family and i finaly told him to make them call first otherwise i'm not answering the door.
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 10:34 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• My MIL did this once when she lived about that far...she said she did call a couple times, (the house we lived in used to drop our cell signals depending on where we sat our phones)...but we didnt answer and they really wanted to see their grandson...he was only a couple months old...we were sleeping in the living room...so we had blankets and crap everywhere and werent really dressed!! When I heard her voice outside I spazzed!! I had like 30 seconds to get "dressed' and throw my living room into acceptable mode! It hasnt happened since and it didnt really make me angry...just a little embarrassed...I like phone calls before people show up! My MIL has never been rude or anything else towards me so i dont mind her company! Just a heads up when its coming!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 10:39 AM on Mar. 29, 2010