I am looking to grow a natural garden with my family this summer..

Hello all I am a all natural mom and we eat organic and we are trying to show are boys to love our earth and take of our earth.. Last summer we had a tiny garden and the boys loved it and took great pride in growing there own veg. This summer we are going to grow a bigger garden but I could use some help.. I want it to be a organic garden .. Can any one help me out..
Thanks
Tracie

andersonboys3

Asked by andersonboys3 at 10:13 AM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I would say what ever you did last year, only more different veggies and stuff, and on a bigger scale. I've only done container gardening.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• was what you did last year organic? if it was just do more of the same!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 12:49 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• no it wasn;t orgainc it was small.. we have a big back yard so this year we want to make a bigger garden.. my boys love to eat the veg they grow...
    andersonboys3

Answer by andersonboys3 at 12:57 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• We grow most of our veggies and they get canned or frozen for the winter. I just go with the flow on things and if there is an issue then I google how to fix it organically. Last year our tomatoes had terrible blight (everyone around here did) so I did a lot of research on that over the winter to prepare for this year.
    Anonymous

• If the soil that you will be growing in has ever been treated with chemicals i.e. weed & feed spray or dust, you would want to replace it. Plants take what they need from the soil, including chemicals. You'd want soil that is free from chemicals and loaded with organic compost/humus to provide the nutrients the plants need to produce well. You should do some research into organic fertilizers.

When you buy seeds, make sure they've not been treated with chemicals. Some corn and squash seeds are treated. You'd probably want heirloom seeds that aren't hybrid or genetically modified. It's harder to find these varieties in the average store. If you buy started plants, you'll want to make sure they've not been fertilized/fed with a chemical fertilizer/food.

www.gardensalive.com is a good place to start looking.

michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 1:37 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• You can find seed companies that sell organic seeds, and some nurseries sell organic plants if you aren't very good and growing them from scratch like I am. You can buy organic fertilizers and soil and possibly even start your own compost pile.

Another good idea is to buy a rain drum...or make your own from a plastic garbage can and lid (cut a flap into the lid) to catch rain water from your gutter spout and use that water to water your garden. Wooden sticks and re-using twist ties or using twine to hold plants upright is a safe an environmentally solution to stop taller plants like tomatoes from drooping.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:22 PM on Mar. 29, 2010