How to leave a store without a screaming/crying child?

I can't seem to leave a store without my DD screaming/crying without buying her something. I dread grocery shopping now...and I had to buy myself sneakers the other day....and of course I had to buy her shoes....so she wouldn't scream her head off. I don't want her to be a spoiled brat but my hubby says I give into her way too much....but I am just tired of the tantrums....Ugh? Ideas/Suggestions....much appreciated!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Nope. My daughter knows she doesn't get something every time we go out. She may point at things and say she wants it or that it's hers, but she listens when we tell her no.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• If you continue to do so, then she will continue to throw tamptrums. I just posted a question about that saying I am the mom.
    I broke my kids out of that, but continued to spoil them in other ways.

Don't continue to buy her stuff that is not needed, I know it is hard. My daughter is now a teen and does not respect me, and I know I will get her back on track, but when we give in it never ends.

Don't worry about what people think, when I see it I don't judge anyone and nobody else should. Stick to your guns, tell them before they go in the store. So, you warn them that you will be buying this and only this. If she throws a tamtrum, so be it. Eventually she will learn it might take a few embarrassing moments but in the end, you both will be happier.

Good luck.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:34 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Every time you give in and buy her something, you are just reinforcing to her that the bigger tantrum she throws, the more likely she is to get what she wants. When she starts, just stop what you're doing and leave the store. Don't talk to her, just take her out of there. After a while, she'll get the message that throwing a tantrum gets her the opposite of what she wants. And I agree with the others that said not to worry what other people may think. If they are parents themselves, they've all been there at one time or another. Good luck!
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 10:38 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• tell her before you go in the store weather or not she'll be getting something or not... then if you say she gets nothing stick to it..
    let her cry don't give in.. if shes has no tantrums surprise her with a quarter for the candy machine.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 10:42 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I always tell my daughter before we go into a store that if she is a good girl she can have a small prize. It's usually only a little thing of candy or something from the dollar aisle. If she throws a fit while in the store, I warn her once, if she continues we leave. I would not ever give her something in the middle of a tantrum just to keep her quiet. I'm trying to reward her only if she is good and I remove her if she is bad. It seems to be working lately but who knows if it will continue to work. She's three and that's what three year olds do sometimes and I'm sure other people in the store realize that too. At least I hope they do while they are staring at me!
    coppersoul

Answer by coppersoul at 11:17 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• watch "the happiest toddler on the block"
    Anonymous

• tell her no u cant have that but u can have this... and give her somthing she likes that ur buying anyways..... or like someon else said.. tell her no let her cry, if someone looks at u like ur stupid. simply say can i help u? wudnt u rather ppl look at u crazy then u have to keep dealing with tantrums?... my son will scream at me sometimes and thats what i do ... i take him outa the cart. and say no u cant have that but i will let u walk next to me,if u listen and hold the basket. it works cuz he knows he dont geta walk with me alot.if they act up give them one warning( get to ther level look at them and say " this will b the only time i tell u , if i have to tell u agin u will go back n the basket" say ok? then keep goin with ur shopng.... if u make a HUGE deal outa her fits then shell do it more... she as all kids do LOVE THAT ATTENTION!!! pm me if u need.. i got allll kindsa stuff to get them to listen!
    muthrof_2

Answer by muthrof_2 at 1:20 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Around 18 months old my kids started this and I took some advice from a friend. The kids were told before entering the store whether they would get something or not and that if they whined/asked/etc then we would leave. I did not give any warnings if they whined or started a tantrum we simply walked out, no lengthy explanation as we left or later either. If I had stuff that would go bad in the cart I would give it to an employee as we left. It took about 4 times of doing this and they stopped asking for stuff. I have not had to do it since. I am also one of those people in a restaurant who will walk out and sit in the car with the child until the rest of the family is done eating their meal. I will then eat mine with the offending child when we get home. Haven't had to do this more then once or twice.
    Anonymous

• Well, she's getting her way with her current method. It isn't going to change until YOU change. Putting up with a few tantrums is nothing compared to having a child that knows she'll get her way when she pitches them.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 1:31 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Go without her bc what you are doing now is reinforcing her bad behavior. If she just wants SOMETHING then take something from home she likes and put it in her bag or your purse. When she starts her crap then give that to her. Otherwise let dad keep her in the car with him or at home until she's old enough to listen to you and not act like that.
    Anonymous