Is calling redheads gingers an insult because that's what they refer to themselves as.

My kids call redheads gingers too and I was just wondering if that's ok. I don't want them being mean to people.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I have 2 best friends that are a red head,two red headed cousins and my daughter is a red head and I've never heard the term,lol.
    I don't think it would be offensive to them though,its not bad.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:41 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I NEVER heard that term being used for redheads. I don't think that would be appropriate.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I have only heard that term when referring to big orange cats! LOL!
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 10:46 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• It depends on how they are saying it. If it is rude as in the South Park episode "Kick A Ginger Day" then yeah, it is pretty rude. If they are just referring to red haired people as a ginger, then it isn't so bad. But the rule should be when in doubt if it can/would hurt someone's feelings, then don't do it.
    I am a redhead and ginger is the least of the rude insults I have received. I guess if you are worried about it being rude, then it is rude enough for them not to call people ginger.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:47 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• It is used as a derogitory term. Even if you don't mean it, it is. Because: A human, characterized by pale skin, freckles and bright red hair. "Gingers" are generally considered to be inferior to their more melanin-rich brethren, and thus deservingly discriminated against. Gingers are thought to have no souls.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:48 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• My hubby has some redheads in his family and I was so scared my kids would have red hair. Some shades of red or strawberry blond is beautiful but then there is that horrible red-orange then freckles..Luckily they came out as blond hair blue eyed beauties.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I've never heard a redhead refer to themselves as a ginger.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:56 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Idk, my old nextdoor neighbor was a redhead and so were her kids, anyhow they called each other mad or 'on fire'

She always said redheads have bad tempers

IDK lol
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 11:22 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• La pela rosa. The red haired one in Italian in reference to them being bossy and very much a troublemaker.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I have to amend what I said. I personally would not be insulted to be called a ginger as a kid, because it wasn't an insult. Now it seems to be an insult, so I would nix your kids saying it.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:47 AM on Mar. 29, 2010