My son is sick and he is 18 months old & has a really bad cough he doesn't know how to cough up the flem like we do just yet, i would like to know if there is anything else besides tynol i could give him???

i called the dr. and they told me to goto the pharmacy and ask them but i don't want to give him something that is going to make him sick or anything that he's not gonna take!!!

GyesMommy08

Asked by GyesMommy08 at 10:51 AM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What is up with your doctor?

Sounds crazy but vicks on his feet then put socks on. I did that.

I would try steaming up the bathroom and sitting in there with him for a while, let him write on the mirror. Usually now adays they don't want to give them cough syrup that young which stinks because they suffer.

You just have to watch out for croup, if it continues, I would see if you can get him checked. Good luck...
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:57 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• suck the flem out with a bulb syringe...and yes, vicks on the feet works!!
    Anonymous

• Try using a humidifier in his room at night, and yes, the steamy shower bathroom works as well. Keep your ears open for a squeaky sound (wheezing) when he breathes. Bring him to the Dr if you are worried; that's what they're there for!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 1:24 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Im fighting the booger battle now with my almost 2 year old, steamy bathroom and vicks on the feet, humidifier in his room is really all you can do, stay away from milk it makes the flem worse water and juice keep kido well hydrated helps....just remember even several days after the virus has left the system the boogers can hang around and are a natural defense to keep the bad stuff out and a way of getting the bad out of the body, just keep sucking em out...good luck
    franklynnsmom

Answer by franklynnsmom at 2:40 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Vicks baby rub on his chest and back, childrens claritin may help dry up some of the mucous... sounds weird I know but it does often help. Use saline in his nose regularly to keep it thinned out
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:21 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Vick's helps. My daughter had a cough and congestion and the DR gave us medicine, it's called P-Hist. She's taking it off and on since she was an infant...I think she might have allergies or something cause she's gotten congestion several times.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on Apr. 5, 2010