Does anyone know of adoptions that don't cost a lot?

DH and I really want to adopt, but we don't have $50k to do it! It's so expensive and we just want to give a child a loving home. We are willing to take a child of any age, race, and even w/ a disability.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Adoption

• Look into your states foster/adopt program. Most states offer free adoption or very minimal fees.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 11:06 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I was going to say the same thing. Or if you can put an add in the paper and do it privately. You may still have to get an attorney for that one thogh, not sure how much it costs. Good luck!
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 11:33 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Inquire about agency fees for international adoption. Special needs programs often have grants and such and you can adopt for as little as $12,000-$18,000
    Anonymous

• I agree! I'm adopting through the foster care system and it isn't costing us a dime.
    PeytonsMom21109

Answer by PeytonsMom21109 at 1:58 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Foster to adopt. If you are willing to adopt an older child or one with disability's they will usually cover almost everything. In most cases the child will have a medical card that helps alot and some will have adoption subsidy that helps with counseling costs, etc.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 2:58 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I know a lot of people think it's cheaper to find a woman wanting to place and adopt independently (w/o an agency), but that's not always the case. If you decide against foster-adopt, there are agencies that are reasonable and I feel that it's safer than going it alone. Our first adoption (with Catholic Charities) cost $5,000 plus legal fees. Our second adoption cost $10,000 plus legal fees. I agree with previous posters, though. If you feel that you are up to the challenge of welcoming a child with special needs or a history of trauma, then fost-adopt is a great (and inexpensive) option. GL!
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 3:58 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• We adopted thru our state's foster care program and the adoption costs were about $1500. However, prior to him being available for adoption, we were reimbursed by the state for his care for the 2+ years that he was not yet available for adoption. That means that the state paid us a great deal more than the $1500 to adopt. Those were for attorney's fees, and if he had qualified for the subsidy, the state would have paid for those as well. When we got started, we had no idea that we'd be reimbursed. It took us a while to finalize, but he's the joy of our life. Good luck to you!

PS-You can straight adopt thru foster care without fostering, and still possibly be reimbursed for your expenses. There is also an adoption tax credit, but I am only learning about it now & can't really speak with surety on that.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 10:48 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• adoptuskids.org  These are kids in the US fostor care system that are available for adoption.  Most will come with adoption & medical subsidies. Individual states also have websites of adoptable kids. With my adoptions, I had to pay some court fees up front but was reimbursed them in the end.  All in all, the only expense I had was $40 for the birth certificate.

motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 11:51 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Adopting from foster care is usually "virtually free" even if you don't foster first. Usually you still have to pay some fees. It's like $50 for a home study, mabye a few hundred for classes you may need to take, and a couple hundred for court costs. These are usually spread out though, so you're not out a bunch at any one time. Like a previous poster said, these are often waived.

When my parents adopted my brothers, who are mentally retarded, they were able to keep receiving small monthly subsidies because of the disability. My brothers were also able to stay on medicaid. We aren't talking about alot of money, but it was enough to help defray the costs of extra therapy and special activities for the boys. The medicaid continued to cover all their medical and dental expenses, so my parents didn't have to worry about the costs of the various specialists the boys needed to visit.
    DDDaysh

Answer by DDDaysh at 11:53 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Another vote for fost/adopt! We are currently adopting a baby out of foster care and it is not costing us one penny.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:06 PM on Mar. 30, 2010