WHICH IS IT SMOKING OR QUITTING SMOKING WHICH CAUSES CANCER?

That smoking was safer once you have started than it is if you quit. Due to the fact that he says he was informed that once you quit smoking you are much more likely to be diagnosed with cancer... I don't know. I have always heard the opposite. That if you smoke you will be more and more likely to become infected with cancer.
I want your imput PLEASE LEAVE ANY LINKS TO ANY RESEARCH. As my husband is willing to look at that. I just need help. I quit smoking over 2 years ago.. and wish he would to. however he is convinced that this " research" proves you become diagnosed with cancer if you Quit. Not if you continue.. I want and need your help ladies.
WHICH IS IT..
SMOKING ITSELF WHICH CAUSES CANCER..?
OR QUITING SMOKING.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Health

• Well if the smoker didn't fill their body up with toxins in the first place there would be no problem. So quitting isn't the reason they get cancer. The smoking put the crap in there so it can eat away at your organs. Something usually does cause the cancer cells to grow and spread but I have never heard anything about it being linked to someone no longer smoking. I wouldn't worry about the fact you stopped smoking but I would be eating healthy foods and do what can flush the unhealthy cells out of the body. Eat well and exercise. Get rid of the bad cells that you can and let the body create new healthy cells.
    Anonymous

• I never heard that but let me know what you come up with .. I quit 6 months ago when my husband got skin cancer.. I want at least one of us around for our son!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:13 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• That is ridiculous. How would anyone be able to prove that those same people who got diagnosed with cancer after quitting smoking, wouldn't have been diagnosed if they continued to smoke? I know that some doctors don't want pregnant women to stop smoking cold turkey because the stress and withdrawls can be problematic. Look at it this way. You can get skin cancer from tanning beds. They say that every time you go in a tanning bed, your risk of skin cancer goes up 75%. So wouldn't that mean that if you continued to tan, you'd be more and more likely to develop cancer? The same goes for smoking. Every time you smoke a cigarette, you are damaging more and more of your lungs and other organs. So the more you smoke, your risk of health issues continues to rise...including cancer. Smoking causes cancer. That's a proven scientific fact.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• the cdc stats are male smokers are 23 times more likely to die from lung cancer than male non smokers.
    male former smokers are 9 times more likely to die from lung cancer than male non smokers.
    from that alone, it looks to me like quitting is better than smoking.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 12:10 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Smoking is the LEADING cause of cancer. By the time someone has lung cancer, it is most likely already somewhere else. Google for pics of black lung (caused by inhalation of coal dust) vs lung cancer vs healthy lungs. He will, no doubt, be amazed.
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 12:10 PM on Mar. 29, 2010