Could you take your parent off life support if you had to?

Things between my mom and I have never really been where we were really close. She has a medical condition that will turn into cancer and will become inoperable. She asked me if I would be her medical power of attorney. She said she asked my other 2 sisters and they both said no so that kinda left me to do it. So I said yes but now thinking about it I dont know that I could do it. So if you had to could you do it?

MIMIBRIE

Asked by MIMIBRIE at 11:10 AM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Health

• what medical condition turns into cancer?
    anyways-I had to do it for my mom. The only reason I could was because I knew she didnt want to live that way. vegitative state that she would never recover from(brain damage). it was an act of love- I let her go find her mom.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 11:14 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Honestly. I could! But only if I knew that was their desire.
    MAKEMYDAY101

Answer by MAKEMYDAY101 at 11:16 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• If they told me it is what they wanted
    awelling

Answer by awelling at 11:17 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• My mom did it for her dad...and I suppose I could do it for my own parents. That would be the hardest decision I'd ever have to make, but it is no life laying in a hospital bed hooked up to machines. My grandpa was a vegetable. He was clinically alive and that was it. He could have been suffering and we wouldn't have known...even though they had him on all the pain meds you could think of. Its just not a life.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:17 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Yes,in a heartbeat.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• My mom has UC which after having it turns into intestinal cancer after a few years and its nearing that point..
    MIMIBRIE

Answer by MIMIBRIE at 11:43 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• In addition to having a medical power of attorney, have her write down in her own words exactly what her intentions are. This will make it easier to know what her wishes are when she can no longer express them. It's not something I want to do, but it is something I will do when/if the time comes. I think it's best to get everything clear well in advance if possible.
    Anonymous

• I would discuss it with her first. Both of my parents told me to never let them suffer or linger in a vegetative state. In cases like that it's not you doing it, it's you giving them their wish. Don't make it your decision. Make it be that of your mom. To answer your question, yes and I would expect my children to do the same when I've told them to pull the plug if there is no hope of a quality life for me.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:07 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• p.s. I'd give my youngest dd Medical POA. If I gave it to my son he'd pull the plug before they needed to! lol

Answer by admckenzie at 12:08 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• That type of responsibility is never an easy burden to carry. Just talk with mom. I got closer to my mom when she had lung cancer. We discussed a lot and had a hoot of a time leading up to her death. Her cancer metastasized to her brain and ate her pain center so she was in no pain. We laughed and enjoyed her final days as if nothing were wrong. She got a cough and we took her to the hospital. My sister was with her in the day and I was with her at night. We made sure she was never alone (her biggest fear). She ended up with pneumonia and died quickly one afternoon before I got there for my shift. My sister said it was over in just a couple of minutes. They were talking one minute and she coughed. The nurses came in and made her leave and when they opened the door mom was gone. Maybe if they can't cure her and she  has to pass it will be quick and without you needing to pull anything. Hugs.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:14 PM on Mar. 29, 2010