A man in Illinois gave his favorite grocery store cashier his kidney. Do you think you could give a casual acquaintance such a huge gift?

This was a question posted on the Cafemom Facebook page. I answered "No, I wouldn't. I have family and children to worry about first." That is my honest answer. I am an organ doner, and anyone is free to take whatever they want when I am dead and gone, but until then I am keeping everything the good Lord has given me unless my children or CLOSE family needs it. I mean they would have to be someone I REALLY REALLY love to get any organs from me! I think is absurd, kind but absurd, that a man with a family, especially with children, would give his kidney to a stranger! I noticed alot of people saying they would do the samething. But I wonder how many of them really would! I don't think 1/2 of the people that said yes would really give their kidney to a stranger, and in my opinion, if they did then they should really get their priorities in order! My children and family come before any stranger!!! What do you all think?

wishwish

Asked by wishwish at 11:28 AM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Just for Fun

• If I didn't have family I guess I would.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 11:30 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Ther is problaly only 6 people I would ever give to: Hubby, 2children, my parents, my brother.
    kjfamily

Answer by kjfamily at 11:32 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• If they needed it, and I felt I should do it, then yes. I have a family myself, but what greater gift is there then to save someone else's life...family or not?
    mamie2shoes

Answer by mamie2shoes at 11:33 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I think if I didn't have kids I would definitely do it, but my babies come first for sure.
    I wouldn't want to risk them being denied an organ that I could have donated because I gave it to a stranger instead.

I think it's a great example for his kids for him to do something so selfless and an amazing gift to give to the person who needed it.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 11:36 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I would without a second thought, my family comes first but I wouldn't pass the opportunity to give someone elses life a chance.

Answer by older at 11:42 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I'm with you on this one. I need to be here for my family. I can only hope the kidney-needing stranger has family that thinks the same for him, and would help him out.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:40 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• there is about ten close friends i would consider it for if they needed mine
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 12:54 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Wow, that would be a difficult decision for me to make. It just goes to show there are still some good people out there.
    not-the-momma

Answer by not-the-momma at 4:28 PM on Mar. 29, 2010