Does anyone know how to get started with selling scented candles at home as a business?

I would like to make some extra money working from home.
I have little money to invest.
I have an interest in scented candles, I love them and think they would be a popular item to sell.
Does anyone do this for themselves? DO you have any advice to give on how to get started?
Where do I purchase the candles from? How should I advertise?How much should I invest in the beginning to get started?

Tha=nks for all your advice and input in advance!!!! :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Money & Work

• I am an independent distributor with Mia Bella. Any questions you have send me a message and I will be happy to answer. You can also take a look at my website which is full of a lot of information. www.HomeAtMiaBella.com

DO you have any advice to give on how to get started?- getting started is the easy part. Find a company and a team leader that you would like to work with. I have a whole list of questions I give to anyone looking at my business and another to help them make the decision of which is a right fit for them. I can send it to you if you would like.
    Where do I purchase the candles from? You will purchase the candles from the company you join at a wholesale price. How should I advertise? I have several ways to advertise to get you started and in profit quickly just depends on your budget. How much should I invest in the beginning to get started? Again depends on your budget and comfort level.
    Kari126

Answer by Kari126 at 1:03 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I have a friend who sells them if you private message me I can get you her info.
    melliesmom1207

Answer by melliesmom1207 at 11:47 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I know people who sell Scentsy and Party Lite candles. Why don't you visit their websites and check it out?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• My suggestion was gonna be Party Lite. They've got some really nice candles and accessories.
    LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 12:03 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• My grandmas friend does because she got to sick to work......I know she sells to alot of people ( and we live in a small area) .....I know just from my grandma she makes like $100/MONTH
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 12:31 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Well, there is Mia Bella, Scentcy, PartyLite, Diamond Creek, Soylicious, and most likely many other companies. My advice for you is to contact people from EACH company. Find out things like What is their start up cost, what do you get for that cost and is there any ongoing fees. Look at each company individually - the products, the scents and try to find out how many local distributors there are in your area with each company. I know candle ladies that make $1000 or more a month, but it takes A LOT of work to get there. You can do it though. Just choose a company that appeals to you. Check out their products, ingredients, scents and whatnot and make a choice based on the company & products and not the recruiting speech... Let me know if you need help, I know people with most the companies and have worked with a few. Good Luck!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:44 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Honestly....I would look into Mia Bella and Scentsy rather than try to make them yourself which is time consuming work on top of trying to market and sell them....at least with a direct selling company they are professionaly made for you. Plus, even though I personally am NOT a huge fan of selling with direct selling companies (mainly because the majority don't make decent money with them) I will say I personally LOVE Mia Bella candles. Wonderful fragrances and priced very well.

Now PartyLite on the other hand is WAAAAYYYY Too expensive in my opinions. No one in their right mind will pay $20 for a 6 or 8 tea lights (how many come in that tiny box?)

When you chose a company you'll have to live and breathe it. Hand out flyers or biz cards to anyone you come into contact with, host events, find hostesses, advertise at local sites and events and work it like ANY business
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:08 PM on Mar. 29, 2010