I need to "spring-ify" my home! Help!

So I have never, EVER, been much of a crafty person, save when I was in grade school. We have lived in our house for about 3 1/2 years and I really want to do something this spring to make the house look nicer. I've never planted any flowers, not even containers (which I'm thinking I should start out with) or veggies (going to try tomatoes, peppers, and herbs this year! Super excited about that!) and I feel our home is lacking that "Some one cares about this home" look, at least from the outside. Inside is much better and we are improving on it consistently (Husby and I both work at Lowe's so we can DIY pretty well) but I don't have any flowers inside either (and two cats that eat things).
So my question is : What is the easiest, cost-efficient way(s) to bring spring to my home? My momma gave me the latest issue of First magazine and they have some awesome craft ideas. I guess I lack the experience it takes to do them....

zeppelynn

Asked by zeppelynn at 11:51 AM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Home & Garden

• So I need you fabulous ladies who this is second nature to to help me out! :) We need very badly to pressure wash the exterior of our house. We have a covered fron porch (I don't believe there are any hooks to hang baskets from) and an okay deck (it's spacious, just in need of TLC) I've thought about a nice door mat that is springy to replace the one there now. As far as flowers go, I love daffodils, tulips and snap dragons...and lots of greenery too. I have no experience with putting flowers into the ground, so I'll probably be using containers. TIA!!!!!!
    zeppelynn

Answer by zeppelynn at 1:25 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• give your lawn a very good raking and edging. lay down fresh mulch. it is too late to plant daffodils and tulips, but you could buy plants already blooming and transplant them where you want them to go. you could buy a shepherds hook for near the front door, and place hanging baskets on that. they need to be watered daily though! dh always gets mad at me b/c i let mine die :(
    i have this rose bush that i hate...it grows out of control, and i get scratches on my arms when cutting it back...but it does add a lot of color to the front of the house! have you considered changing the paint color of your front door?
    have fun!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 1:36 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Very good ideas, indeed. Thank you for the tips. I can't wait to get outside! It's so nasty and dreary here today and there's no color out there.
    I would very much like to change the color of the front door. It's very chipped anyway. Good idea, lady! :) :) :)
    zeppelynn

Answer by zeppelynn at 1:42 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• A pretty wreath for the front door in bright spring colors is easy to find.

A new mat at the door. Some terracotta pots with Gerber Daisies on the front stoop.

Inside...just open the curtians/blinds and let the light in. Open the windows if you don't have too much pollen in the air (otherwise you will be dusting yellow pollen for a while). Take the heavy comforters off the beds and replace with white or light colored coverlets.

Put up a poll to hang bird feeders from....for us the coming of spring is most noticable with the return of Cardinals, Blue Birds, Goldfinches, Carolina Wrents, Nuthatches, etc.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:44 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Oh wow! A wreath! What a fun idea!!!! I love it! Our house is awesome with a breeze blowing through, so I'll definitely open up those windows ASAP! And we are actually in the market for a new lightweight bedspread.
    Our yard has been positively covored with cardinals. I'll have to find out what they like to eat...
    Thank you so much for the fun ideas!
    zeppelynn

Answer by zeppelynn at 7:32 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• You'll attract the most birds to your yard with combination of suet feeders and black oil sunflower seeds. That's all we put out and we get the most bird traffic of the street.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:21 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Checked with husby last night and apparently we can't have a wreath on our front door b/c of how it's made. Hm. But he said I'm more than welcome to paint it!
    Also had an idea last night laying in bed: I work at Lowe's so I can get pallets for free (I believe). What if I spray painted them fun spring colors (I'm thinking purple and green) and put them on my deck with potted plants on them? It would be portable and I could even have 2 pallets with both sides a different color so they could be flipped to change.
    zeppelynn

Answer by zeppelynn at 8:31 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• That would be cute...the pallets.

We have a storm door and a front door. Our front door and storm door both have glass in them. What I did was go to the shower/bath area of Target (Lowe's works too) and got the suction cup hooks and my wreaths go on those each season. Right now I have an Easter themed one I got last year at Target's after Easter clearance. Before that was a St. Patrick's Day one. I'm on the hunt for a spring one to lead into summer.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:39 PM on Mar. 30, 2010