Have you ever hid in your house when you see the electric company pull in your driveway because you know they are there to shut the electric off?

I hate when this happens. We are 2 months behind on the electric bill,waiting until this Thursday to make a payment on half the bill. Things have just been so tight around here. This morning, I seen flashing lights in my driveway, it was the electric company leaving a disconnect notice. I hurried and turned off all the lights and the tv and had the kids sit quietly on the couch with me until he left.
It's just so embarressing.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:20 PM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Money & Work

• If I was in the position I probably would try and hide lol....but the way my kids are my son would start screaming and my daughter would be like ( loudy) WHOS HERE, WHAT ARE THEY DOING, SOMEONES AT THE DOOR ! lol
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 12:28 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• No, I haven't. However, if things are truly this bad, then I think you should call the electric company and see if you can't work out a plan. Most municipalities have some sort of assistance program that you might qualify for some help.
    mrsfitz05

Answer by mrsfitz05 at 12:22 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Uh, no. I try to keep in contact with my creditors when things are going south. It does help. It causes a little bit of stress, but not nearly as much as you are going through right now.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 12:26 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Try calling your electric company. They are willing to work with you.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 12:30 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I havent had that happen, I always call and make arrangements so they know i plan on paying, if its just a matter of a few days they will make a note and normally wont send someone to put a notice on your door.

It happens we all go through it, just learnign how to talk to the companies is the hardest part, but once you do you find that they will help the best they can, they would rather not turn you off if they can help you.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:44 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• look up leap they help with eletric and also look up your local Salvation army they help as well.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:45 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Well, where I live they will turn your power off whether you are home or not. So I don't know what good pretending you are not there would do.

Just call them. They don't want to turn your power off and I am sure they will be willing to work with you and refer you to local resources who can help you out.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:10 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Yeah in many cases they can turn it off without coming into your home. But I would have answered the door said i'll make a payment on Thursday but you can't turn it off now because I have children in the home.

And well, in times like these do everything you can to LOWER your electric bill. Depending on what state you live in you may be able to choose a different supplier but keep the same delivery company...one bill, cheaper rates and you save on the taxes for it. Also put your tv, computer and cell phone charges and other appliances like stereo and microwave on powerstrips and turn them off at night. Our elec bill went down by almost $20 a month by doing this. And by using a different supplier (Ambit energy but we still use National Grid to deliver it) we save an additional $15 or so a month.

Our electric bill for our 2 bedroom house is only $50 a month!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:12 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• It depends on where you live because some states have a law that prevents electric companies from shutting off the electric if there are minors in the home. Now that you have a disconnect notice, you need to take that to your dept of social services and ask them for help.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 2:55 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• No, honestly I've never done this. Anytime I see a utility truck I go see what they want, because they will shut you off regardless of if you are home or not. But honestly I haven't really had that issue much. Occasionally I forget to pay something and get a shut off notice, but then I pay if and don't have to worry. Here in PA though, if you get a shut off notice you can take it down to the PA office and they will help you pay it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:16 PM on Mar. 29, 2010