How do I get the fleas out of my house?

Yet another foster dog has left us with a flea infestation. We've stopped working with the rescue these animals came from as this is the fifth time they've neglected to address a flea issue. Four ruined couches and three worms treatments later (for the cats, not me) I think I need a new plan. Does anyone know of something that will get the fleas out of my couch/carpet? I'm really hoping I don't have to replace a fifth couch. Thanks to anyone who can help.

flitpixie

Asked by flitpixie at 12:27 PM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Pets

• There's spray you can get but it never worked for us when we were hit with an infestation. We had to use a flea bomb to finally get rid of them. I hated using it because they're so full of chemicals, but I didn't want to deal with the fleas either. They're hardy little bugs that are so hard to get rid of completely....good luck!
    Anonymous

• They hate the smell of eucalyptus. There is something called Odoban that is great for getting rid of smells but it has the Eucalyptus smell to it. You could try that. They sell it at Sam's Club and Walmart.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:34 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Vacuum everything you can and throw the bag away immediately. Wash what you can as well. you should also get flea prevention from your vet. If you continue to foster I would also recommend that you get flea prevention for them from the vet as well. I foster a lot of animals and none of them will enter my house without frontline,Adantage or revolution being applied.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 12:38 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• The cheapest & easiest way of getting fleas out of your carpet (doesn't work for the pets, but it'll keep them from living in the carpets) is salt. Regular everyday salt. It is gross if you walk around barefoot a lot, but it works wonders! Not sure why, but a friend told us about it once & we tried it & within days no more fleas (& our flea problem was HORRIBLE that summer!). Just sprinkle the salt all over the carpet, leave it there for 24-48hrs & then vacuum & repeat the process. Should only take two times.
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 12:38 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• There are flea bombs that you can buy, but plan on the family being out of the house for the day.
    After that to maintain, I sprinkle my carpets and flooring with flea powder, let it sit for about 20 mins, vacume it up very well. Repeat about every 2nd or 3rd time you vacume.
    Also, A trick that can work is to leave saucers with a little bit of Dawn dish liquid in th ecorners of a room, they jump in and they die. But that won't cure the entire house, especially if you have a lot, but it does cut down on them.
    They about drove me NUTS last summer but once I finally git it battled and just kept on top of it, the pests were gone for good.
    Good Luck, hope you can get rid of them soon!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:31 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• soapy water and a night light...put the bowl of soapy water under the night light and presto, you're set..lol..the fleas are attracted to the light, and when they jump towards it, they land in the soapy water, causing them not to be able to crawl up the sides and they drown..
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 2:42 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• the salt causes the fleas to become dehydrated and they die. i have never been successsful with totalflea removal unless i had orkin or terminex come and do a whole house treatment. i would agree with the poster who said that she wouldnt accept an animal without it having a monthly treatment before they enter your home. they should come with the animal so u dont have to go thru this. good luck.
    Anonymous

• Coat the carpet & furniture in baby powder. It's so fine it suffocates them. Vacuum repeatedly. There are also flea sprays for furniture & carpets.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 11:16 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Alright, have a lamp set up in the corner where most of them are with a pan of soapy water. mix of salt and baking powder on the carpet every night to be vacuumed in the morning, flea spray of the furniture and carpet..I'm out of salt so I'll try to baby powder when little goes down for his nap.
    They're not gone yet, but I've managed to put a major dent in the amount. If I keep up like this they should be gone next week. Thanks so much to all of you! :)
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 12:40 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I used to live at the shore, hence sand fleas. The only thing that worked was spray from my vet, and moth balls in the vacuum. The moth balls kill the larva. Every time you vacuum you release more fleas.

DebbieA

Answer by DebbieA at 9:10 AM on Apr. 1, 2010