For Pagans Please...

I am reading Wicca for One. It's been on my shelf for AGES and I am running low on new reading, so I figured I would check it out. I would have to say about 95% of it is just refresher basics, but it will be a good one to recommend to those looking to get started...

Anyways, my question is this...

Through out the book the author states OVER and OVER how "real witches" don't use drugs or alcohol (besides wine) because intoxication lessens your natural power.

Now, I am sober, I haven't had so much as a drink with dinner in almost 5 years. BUT, the idea that a "real witch" doesn't ever use drugs is to me just wrong. If you want to, that's up to you, but to say one who doesn't is not a real witch is just wrong in my eyes...

What do you all think? Am I being too open minded here in thinking that drugs and alcohol are a personal choice?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 12:28 PM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Historically the whole idea that magical practitioners didn't use drugs are wrong. But with Wicca, the idea is more of keeping balance, so it's not suprising to see it listed as a no no. Then factor in the whole "do no harm" deal and the idea that drugs harm the body or your life, so again it's not surprising to see it listed as a no no. But that's Wicca for you. So it's not unexpected that Wiccan authors fall prey to the whole "True _whatever_" fallacy. It's idiotic nonsense. There is no "True _whatever_." 

Personally, it's your choice to do what you want. You still have to deal with the consequences for those choices.

isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 12:39 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I have honestly never smoked anything or done any drugs in my life its just not something I ever want to do and its been I dont know how long sence I've had any alcohol I try not to drink because I'm the one thats always with my ds. I do like to drink sake or white wine but I just dont want to drink around or in front of him. I do agree with you on if someone for whatever reason wants to drink or whatever thats completly up to them. I think its their personal choice so I dont think your being too open minded.
    flower_angel

Answer by flower_angel at 12:40 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I know plenty of real witches who use alcohol and or other drugs. I also know some who are sober. There are many many nature-based traditions which use various substances in order to commune with spirits and other realms. I think it is very closed minded to state that 'real' witches do this or that.

I see a parallel here with Christians who comment about what 'real' Christians do or say or believe. I think that the status of a person's relationship with their god or gods is between them and the divine. No one else can say if it is "real" or not.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:07 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I dont think you can say they arent "real" if they use.
    Do I think its smart to use to the point of addiction type behavior...no because I think it does mess with the energies. But that doesnt mean I wouldnt agree she was "real".
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:19 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I personally don't use any drugs, mainly because most of it makes me sick as a dog. I don't even drink much anymore, it's too hard with toddlers!

But I do agree that it should be a personal choice for each person. Although what about some of the Native American Shamans? Don't they sometimes use a drink or smoke of some type in their rituals?

I'm curious, not having heard of that specific book, although if you saw my bookshelf you'd be amazed it isn't there. Who is the author on it? I'm not going to say, but I already have a feeling who it is.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 1:30 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I think the author is very mistaken.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 1:39 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Just as a note here. The Author is Raymond Buckland.

I tend not to be a fan in the first place. But the more of his stuff I read, the less I like him. This is just one reason.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:04 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Drugs and smoking DO tend to affect the efficiency of a spell, if you are a wiccan who does that. You need complete concentration on the objective of your spell or your ritual or it could go VERY wrong. But many pagan/wiccans drink wine with certain rituals. As long as you aren't doing a spell, but merely celebrating the god and goddess, I don't see why not. It is my personal choice to avoid drink and drugs and I have never in my life wanted to smoke so I would use juices rather than wine. It's hard to avoid it. At my age I actually require drugs--mostly homeopathic--in order to sleep, to keep my blood sugar down, to level out my cholesterol and blood pressure etc. etc. Still, in the old days, hallucinogenic plants were used by pagans as connections to the gods. It's a personal choice.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 4:28 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Dude! It's Buckland! The only other authors I can think of more full of themselves are Alaster Crowley and $ilver(dollar) Revenwolf!

How many Buckland Witches does it take to change a light bulb?

"Refer to Practical Light Bulb Changing by Raymond Buckland..."

source

And no...I know many "Real Witches" who often implore the Shamanistic aid of recreational pharmaceuticals. 

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 4:30 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Ah yes, that was my guess - as one of our friends calls him...Uncle Bucky. I've never known anyone that likes the sound of their own voice so much.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 6:03 PM on Mar. 29, 2010