How do you breastfeed a newborn when you have an 18 month old and babysit other children ages 2-6?

I breast fed my other children but the difference was, I didn't have any other little ones running around other than my own. I can answer the questions to my own children but think it would be weird to answer those same questions to kids that are not mine. Not to mention, they might see my boobs,lol.
I am seriously considering not babysitting this one because of this. It's not like I can go in a seperate room to always feed, I have to WATCH them, you know. I don't know. The baby is not born yet, I'm just trying to figure out exactly what I should do.
Any advice for me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:29 PM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• First I would let the parents know you are planning on nursing and let them make the decision of whether their children stay in your care. It is perfectly normal to nurse and I personally feel the kids NEED to see it more often. I would NEVER choose babysitting over breastfeeding my child. I will not compromise the health of my children so I can care for others. I would then go buy a sling and learn to nurse with it on. It is actually rather simple once you get the hang of it and then you could still chase the other children around and not be stuck on the couch or floor or wherever sitting while nursing.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 1:07 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• OP HERE: I meant: I am seriously considering not BREASTFEEDING this one because of this.
    LOL, sorry about the error, lol.
    Anonymous

• Just stop thinking about it and do it. Sit on the floor, put a kids movie on and nurse the baby. Don't make it sound so complicated, it isn't.
    Anonymous

• I would talk to the kids mom if you are worried about what she thinks. But I would just say " I am feeding the baby" if they ask while you are nursing, but I agree not to make a big deal of it. I don't think I would chose not to breastfeed if it was at all possible for me to breastfeed.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:37 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Just let the mom know that you'll be breastfeeding. I would NOT choose babysitting over breastfeeding, but that's just me. You make whatever choice you feel that you need to make.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:44 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I think it's normal if you make it normal. I have breastfed my infant in front of my kids, my friends' kids, and the other kids at the daycare. I wouldn't mind at all if the daycare provider were to breastfeed in front of my kids. I would be fine with breastfeeding at a daycare. If you were to lose clients over it, there are other clients.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:58 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Have you ever seen Michelle Duggar (18 kids & counting) nursing? She has a boppy thing & is totally covered. she can walk around practically hands free and deal with her 18 kids....
    So i think if she can handle a classroom of kids & nurse im sure you can do great at it! But if its just a reason for not nursing, dont make the other kids your excuse.
    Best of Luck!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 1:13 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• True, there are always other clients out there,lol.
    I guess I'm more concerned with how I will watch them well while breast feeding because from my pst expereiences, breast feeding can some times take awhile...and if the kids are running around like crazy and I'm stuck sitting and breast feeding what am I to do? I like the sling idea, maybe I coul dmake that work. Guess it would just take some getting used to.
    Anonymous

• talk to the other kids mom(s) first. tell them that you will be breastfeeding, and ask them how they want you to answer any questions. breastfeeding is natural, and kids really deal with it well. i just say, this is how my baby gets milk. bfing can easily be done discreetly. our friend's daughter used to pretend to breastfeed two dollies at once, like i did my twins! my sister used to have a special box of toys that could only be played with during nursing time. this kept the kids busy with something special.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 1:19 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Honestly, I would rather have my kids first sight and impression of boobies to be a nursing mom. LOL Breastfeed but, let the mom know that her kids might have questions and be talking about nursing.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:24 PM on Mar. 29, 2010