Should I be concerned?

Okay, my baby doc said my son could be in a forward facing car seat at 1 yr and 20 lbs, which he is but the car seat he got for his bday is says forward facing at 22 lbs, so we are waiting, which sux, but safety first.
I know someone who said her daughter is 19 lbs, 29 in. and is one and says she can be in a forward facing car seat. I'm concerned. What do you guys think? I've never heard of being able to forward face before 20 lbs and I know it's just by a lil bit, but still.

cyber-pg

Asked by cyber-pg at 12:56 PM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• seriously??? she is fine! I wouldn't worry about it.
    HelloKitty86

Answer by HelloKitty86 at 12:58 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• No I wouldn't worry about it. Its just 1 pound. It's be different if her baby weighed like 10 or 15 lbs or something.
    Anonymous

• The law says: at least 1yr and 20lbs. it does not say...19lbs if you feel like it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:01 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• The law says 1 year AND 20 lbs, but my children rear faced until they hit the limit on their car seats and for them that was around 20 months old! I would have preferred to keep them rear facing longer, but couldn't afford the more expensive car seats that do it and they wouldn't fit in our car any way. Rear facing is safest for as long as possible. I am an EMT and have seen too many things in my years and will keep mine rear facing as long as possible and in a 5 point harness (not belt positioning booster) as long as possible within our budget.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 1:02 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• the legal minimum for forward facing is 1 year AND 20 pounds. not one or the other but both. if the seat says 22 pounds, you need to wait til then. this means the seat has only been tested and approved for 22 pounds and up. putting a smaller child in it is like using them as a crash test dummy, and nobody wants that for their child. please at least wait until the minimum of the seat.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 1:05 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• My dd was 23 lbs and 11 mos when I turned her.... she outgrew her carseat and my MIL was taking care of her while I was in the hospital when DH deployed to Iraq.When I got out, dd was a year. I do agree you should wait until the min weight amount on the seat but there are mothers who do things differently for different reasons or circumstances.
    Anonymous

• It says 20 pounds and 1 year. Not 19 pounds. lol. My son is 25 pounds and 15 mo and he's still rear facing. His carseat says I could FF him at 20 pounds and 1 year, but the carseat itself goes to 35 pounds RF. I'll RF til I can't RF anymore. There is no reason to switch them around just because you CAN.. It's safest for them to be RF'ing and contrary to popular belief .. for most .. it's not any darn easier to properly install the seat FF than RF, most people install them wrong both ways. My son is perfectly content to RF and I'd rather have his legs broken (more likely RF) than his neck/back (more likely FF) in an accident.

You don't have to say anything if you don't want, the kid will likely be fine if the seats installed right and she'll view it as nitpicking and trying to backseat parent. I'd personally say something cause I'm a car seat safety inspector at our fire hall and I have clout. lol.
    Anonymous

• Ask your doctor where he got his info. It certainly wasn't at medical school, and the car seat technicians will tell you that his info is wrong. The car seat manufacturer will also tell you he's wrong. I wish doctor's at least attempted to give good information.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 2:31 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• BradenIsMySon: I agree w/ you!
    jcsmummy: I don't think you read my post right. I, for one, am going w/ the safest possible way for my son and my son WILL be rearfacing until 22 lbs because of the carseat I have. My question was pertaining to the person I know that's gunna put her daughter forward facing at 19 lbs.
    whiteroses82: I dunno if you meant my doc was wrong for saying 20 lbs and if so, I wanted to let you know my doc is a woman and that's what most docs say. IF you meant the other person, I don't know who her doc is, let alone, if they don't her she could forward face at 19 lbs. I never heard of that, but she just said she could forward face now.
    cyber-pg

Answer by cyber-pg at 3:41 PM on Mar. 29, 2010