Do you believe that we are heading toward another Great Depression?

Even though there are some economic stabilization, many economists are predicting that another Great Depression is heading our say. Their info sources are studies of historic cycles, like the one of the 1930's. The difference now is that the recession we are currently in has more complications of record high national debt, as we are now the highest debtor nation in the world.

What is your opinion?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:15 PM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think we already are living it.At least I know in my house it seems that way. Only difference is, we don't have to live in tents outside, but I'm sure thats not going to be far off,seeing how the mortage is behind and the house is about to foreclose. And I know many other families going through the same thing.
    Anonymous

• No. I think it's bad and I think it will get worse, but never as bad as the gret depression. And anyone who thinks they have it nearly as bad as people in the great depression need to get educated and stick their nose in a book. This is nothing near what those people went through.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 2:32 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• During the great depression people did not have PA and unemployment to fall back on. But those entitlements will soon die out. Then we will see a much greater comparison.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 3:05 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I think we are heading in that direction. I don't know if things will reach the depths they reached during the Great Depression, and I pray they don't. But if you (in general) have the ability to prepare for lean times, I think it would be wise to do so.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 4:14 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• This country has been on the skids ever since George W. Bush was selected by the U.S. Supreme Court to be President.
    For eight years he sided with the Rich and Famous, dodged the military draft and ignored the middle class.
    As a result of this action, look where we are today: major banks being bailed out, housing market down the tubes, $10 Billion a month going to Iraq and still NO resolve to this fiasco, consumers unable to get a bank loan, highest home foreclousure in history, largest national debt ($14.50 Trillion) in history and the big three wanting more $$$$Billions??????
    The above is just the tip of the iceberg. As President Elect Barack Obama STATED MANY TIMES: times will get worse before they get better.
    The entire world has too much GREED FOR FINANCIAL GAIN.
    It's high time that every American start pulling together to pull us out of this hole that George W. Bush dug.......
    Anonymous

• The above was printed BEFORE OBAMA WAS ELECTED.

As stated Times will get worse before better!!! This has very little to do with OBAMA
    Anonymous

I think I voted for him - twice. The Supreme Court didn't elect my president. Talk about getting over something, yet that is what most of this is about. Democrats on some level are sore loosers. They tried to get Perot to split the vote so a democrat would be in office and it didn't work. They can't take the fact they lost. ACORN tried to help them win and it didn't work. It actually backfired and they can't let it go. All of this is "pay back" and it is unattractive and makes the dems who are doing this appear petty and small.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:28 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Anon great job of using the progressive talking points. To bad it's all BS.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 6:41 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I don't know really, I guess it's possible, anything's possible when it comes to things like that. I kinda have a feeling that it's going to be a long time before things get really better though. Things pretty much started hitting the skids when Clinton signed NAFA and companies began moving their jobs over-seas in order to gain a bigger profit. As long as companies do that and continue to send work over-seas, making for less and less work here....things won't get a whole lot better for a lot of folks.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 3:26 AM on Mar. 30, 2010