What does this mean?

My doctor said Im 50% effaced. She was rushed out so I could not ask any questions. I was also 2 1/2 cm dilated does that mean I will be in labor soon. I will be 40 weeks on Wednesday

MommyReRe3

Asked by MommyReRe3 at 1:21 PM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It could go either way honestly. That's GREAT progress for almost 40 weeks. It's all up to baby now, but you have a good head start on labor!
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 1:24 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I would think you would have an easy delivery and hopefully soon. I was just at my 37w appt today and was also at 2.5 cm dilated but 80% effaced and was told that I will not make it to my due date of the 17th and I might actually have him as early as next week! If your able I would start walking and that will get things moving for you..hope your bundle of joy arrives soon!
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 1:30 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Have sex, walking, going up and down stairs, walking with one foot on the curb and the other off of it, these are all great ways to get things moving. You sound ready to me. Just think, thats less you have to do when you do go into labor! Emotions can also keep you from going into labor. I am a birth doula and always tell my clients to have a good cry, that will sometimes trigger labor too.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 1:37 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I dont think that is any sign that labor is near but considering you are almost 40 weeks then I would guess that labor is coming sooner rather than later. 50% effaced means that your cervix is half gone. A cervix starts off being approximately 5cm so your's is about 2.5 now. The more effaced you are (typically) the quicker you dilate. I was much more effaced than that towards the end of my pregnancies but I never made 40 weeks (2 were born at 37 weeks and one at 38 1/2)
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 1:45 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• i was at that for about 2 wks and ended up being induced when i passed my due date 9 days. so you just never know. the baby comes when it's ready
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 2:03 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I was 50% effaced and 2 dilated for 3 weeks before I had my 5th kid. It really doesn't mean a whole lot.
    Anonymous