did you get a h1n1 vacine pregnant?

im 14 weeks now and my doctor really thinks i should get the h1n1 vacine but im really scared. ive never had a flu shot before, so i dont know the side affects. has anyone else had the vacine already, how was it (side affects)? has any one had it and delivered a healthy baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:46 PM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I got mine at 14 weeks . it hurt a little as far as my arm being sore for a few days but i got both of the flu shots at the same time . i say go for it better safe than sorry as far as getting that type of flu
    pamelatipton25

Answer by pamelatipton25 at 2:20 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I did. It made my arm a little sore, but that was it. I got it because I live in an area that has been highly affected by H1N1, including a large percentage of deaths in pregnant women.
    Anonymous

• i didn't get the h1n1 flu shot, or any other flu shot. i haven't had a flu shot for over 10 years (also haven't happened to get the flu fortunately!!!). it's totally up to you :)

i do think flu season is just about over though. of course you still could get the flu out of season but i think it's probably not very likely at this point :)
    Anonymous

• I had gotten the H1n1 vaccine when I was pregnant, no side effects other than a sore spot for a day or two and my baby was born perfectly healthy. It also protects your baby from h1n1 for up to 6 months of age after they are born.

My only hesitation at this point is that it's not really flu season anymore and may just be unnecessary. I know many moms also didn't get it because they felt it wasn't tested enough but other than the strain the vaccine contains exactly the same ingredients as the regular flu vaccine....and pregnant women do get or can request the shot which has NO live strain in it (the mist does have the live virus)
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:55 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• no. we don't vaccinate, especially for the flu. I had a friend who was pregnant and got it along with her daughter who was almost 2. They handled it very well, just like any other flu and recovered quickly. I know everyone is different in what their immune system can handle, but we take care of ourselves, doing things to build up our immune system and avoiding things that will break it down. My kids have gotten the flu several times before, nothing we could not handle.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 1:56 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• i didn't get it and i haven't taken any flu shots for many yrs. i know how healthy i am so felt no need to get something that i didn't need.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 1:58 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I got it when 8 months pregnant. My baby is now 3 months old and we are both fine. My two toddlers also got it (they were 19 months and 3 yr old at the time) and both are fine.

The H1N1 vaccine has been around long enough now that we'd know if there were any ill effects from the shot. Pregnant women in Australia were receiving it 8 months before it was even available in the US.

The H1N1 virus has been proven to be far more dangerous to pregnant women and small children than the vaccine.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:07 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• i have never had the flu, and i have never had a flu shot. flu shot manufacturers do not recommend flu shots for pregnant women. the next dr. visit go through the ingredients of the vaccine and see if this is something that you may want to expose your baby to. do a little homework on your own, google adjuvants. i know a lot of people say their kids are fine and they get all their shots...but are these the same moms that always have sick kids? can damage occur without us knowing? could our kids have been healthier? smarter? taller? without allergies? vaccines are a big decision, and you need to read up on it...
    good luck mama!
    congrats on your pregnancy :)
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:33 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I didn't get it, and I am navy so it was mandatory for everyone, but I actually lied to avoid getting it. I did my research, and found out that the risks outweighed the benefits for me personally...but it is still your choice.
    Anonymous

• I feel the same as previous poster. Risks are too high for me and really flu season is almost over. I wouldn't do it.
    Anonymous