Has anybody used Paragard?

I had Mirena hated it but my doc told it basically hormone free which it isn't only Paragard is. I need pro's and cons cuz I'm to sensitive to everything else.

jilliank1109

Asked by jilliank1109 at 1:56 PM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Health

Level 1 (-17 Credits)
  • PROS: No hormones, no maintenance other than checking for the strings once a months, Supposedly more effective than a tubal, completely reversible and cheaper in the long run than regular BC.

CONS: WAYYYY heavier periods, I was told you could have worse cramps but I honestly haven't had any at all, if the strings curl or they cut them too short you might not be able to find them when you check. I have have skipped a period a few times though that isn't one of the listed side effects (and I had negative HPT's the whole time), if you do happen to get pregnant you run a higher risk of it being ectopic (sp?), and there is the risk of it perforating your uterous though that is very very rare.

All in all, I love mine and even with the heavier periods I will never use another type of BC again. I would definitely recommend it.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 6:37 PM on Mar. 29, 2010