can you get a ring-worm twice?

my son just finished his medication about a week ago that cost 281.00. He is now back and school and Im wondering can he catch it again..can he?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:17 PM on Mar. 29, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• yes he can
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 2:18 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• yes....did you try a over the counter anti-fungal? it would be much cheaper!

Treatment in humans
    Antifungal treatments include topical agents such as Miconazole, Terbinafine, Clotrimazole, Ketoconazole, or Tolnaftate applied twice daily until symptoms resolve - usually within one or two weeks. Topical treatments should then be continued for a further 7 days after resolution of visible symptoms to prevent recurrence. The total duration of treatment is therefore generally two weeks, but may be as long as three.

In more severe cases or where there is scalp ringworm, systemic treatment with oral medications may be given.

To prevent spreading the infection, lesions should not be touched, and good hygiene maintained with washing of hands and the body.

IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 2:57 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• we tried tea tree oil and a over the counter fungus cream. it was working at first but then more started coming 2 on his forehead one on back of the neck and one in his head (so we thought) once we started giving him the meds the ring worms started to dry out turning white and he had lots of white spots all over his head he had them in more places than we thought. im guessing he got it from school since no one else in the house has it and thats the only place he goes where he is playing with other kids. we practice good hygiene and i wash his sheets, laundry ect. im scared he is going to get it again though from someone at school.

thx for the comments ladies I really appreciate it :)

Anonymous

• Yes they can get it repeatedly. My son had a spot on his leg and one on his arm once. I got the generic brand of either lotramin or tinactin (don't remember which now) The school nurse told me that it wouldn't be contagious once it had been being treated for 24 hours. It can take several weeks of treatment to go away completely. I was told to keep it covered at school but I exposed it to air as much as possible while at home so it could dry out quicker (fungus thrives in dark, warm, moist environments) You are probably right about catching it at school BUT people can get it from animals too. Cats can even have ringworm and be able to transmit it without showing any symptoms themselves. Also, the spores can live for awhile on all sorts of surfaces
    Anonymous

• Yes, he can. If he itches the spot and touches himself anywhere else on his body, it will spread. He can also spread it to friends and family members.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:53 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• You might want to look out in the neighborhood for stray cats. That is where I would get when I was a kid. All the time. My poor parents!
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 9:32 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Yes you can get it several times.It is usually caused by animal feces normally cats.Treatable with any over the counter anti-fungus cream(same thing you use for jock itch).
    Anonymous

• Ringworm is NOT caused by animal feces. It's a FUNGAL infection and if you get it from a pet it was from contact with infected skin or fur.. NOT their feces.

Roundworms, hookworms and tapeworms are found in cat feces though.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 11:35 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I always hear people claim that you catch ringworms from cats, but that isn't necessarily all true. You CAN catch it from a cat, as that is one of the few things that a cat can have that a human has. However, you can catch it from other humans, or touching surfaces that was infected by another person... not just cats, and definitely not from feces. That's a whole other issue. Ringworm is simply a fungal infection that is pretty contagious.

You can try some over the counter cream. Usually, you can go up to any pharmacy and speak to the pharmacist. They give great advice (for free) about over the counter things you can take for this (and other not so serious ailments).

pam

Answer by pam at 10:57 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I had ringworm a couple years ago...on both arms simultaneously. I was told to use an OTC topical cream. It took forver to clear up but I haven't had it since.
    Anonymous