Do you go to a chiropractor?

I have been going to one for about a week now. I have never gone to one before. I am dealing with neck pain from a crash with a go-kart. I feel like when I leave his office I'm in more pain than when I arrived. Is this normal? I am scared that its damaging my neck muscles or something. Anyone else have this experience?

tts

Asked by tts at 2:20 PM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Health

Level 1 (-12 Credits)
  • I've been to a chiropractor for my lower back. And sometimes I would feel a little worse at first from my back being jolted back into proper alignment, but it would always feel prettydarn good soon after. I never let him touch my neck because it freaked me out. One thing that is important when you do see a chiropractor is try to take it easy for awhile afterwards. If you get your neck re-aligned properly from a chiro but then immediately go to work and just not rest it can go right back out of alignment pretty quick. The longer you can then just lay down and let your neck stay in proper alignment the longer the relief and alignment will last.

BUT address your concerns w/your chirpractor before he does anything on your next visit. Tell him it feels worse not better, he may need to do different adjustments & even adjust the back as well. If their is still no improvement try another chiro or just skip chiro & try PT
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:32 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• i agree with pp, discuss this with your chiropractor. sometimes it can hurt worse to be put on the right track. your muscles might be pretty angry right now because of the accident. you can talk to your dc about things you may be able to do at home...sometimes heat or ice or both, sometimes a little traction at home, sometimes a cervical pillow. how many times have you gone in the past week? are you taking any anti inflammatories for the pain? sometimes that can stop your body from healing itself too.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:19 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I agree with happy2bmom25. Sometimes it hurts to get the muscles back in place. Ask the dr about using ice for 20 minues then heat for 20. Sometimes going from ice to heat really helps. Talk to him and he should be able to tell you something about helping with the pain and how long it should take.
    mtwest

Answer by mtwest at 11:17 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I pretty much agree with all of the above answers ... it usually gets worse before it gets better. Good Luck! I love my chiro!
    cmb0414

Answer by cmb0414 at 5:23 PM on Mar. 30, 2010