• In the Spotlight:

Why is my 13 month old refusing to eat certain foods? When did your baby start refusing to eat certain foods?

He'd been eating potatoes and brown rice for months and now he won't eat them. (I've tried several times now to give them to him). He still seems to really like wholegrain pasta and wholegrain toast/sandwiches and crackers as far as grains go.

Is it normal for them to start to refuse eating things like this ? He also wouldn't eat his carrots last night so I steamed him some green beans instead and he ate those..

And he picked at this tofu and egg omelet today til I threw some stewed tomatoes on top.

I thought they got picky as toddlers but isn't he a little young to be refusing foods? How old was your baby when they got picky?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:29 PM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He is not too young. My son refused to eat some spinach at 5 months old. He flat out turned his head and clenched his mouth shut. It was supposed to be his first time to try it. He refused. I finally poked a little bite in and he leaned forward and let it roll out of his mouth. He ate everything else, but, potatoes just fine until then. At least with the potatoes, he would take a bite then make a face and you could tell he hated it, but, he hadn't ever tried spinach. This started his non-babyfood eating. I started making my own after he refused other stuff.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:33 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Yup normal, they go through fussy phases, all I could do was keep trying the things he/ and she would refuse again & again, some they returned to like & others NOT! My 19 month old son is doing it again with his veggies, It's hard because I worry.So I've been giving him some new V-fusion Light with 50% less sugars then the regular one.Half water & half juice, it's got the fruit & veggies in it! It makes me feel a little better, I still try to give him his veggies with the other bigger kids, so he will eat them again but I don't know when.
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 2:37 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• So he's actually a little OLD to be refusing foods? lol ! I thought he got my "will eat anything" genes ;) His daddy is an extremely picky eater. So I was like "woo hoo" when he'd eat absolutely anything I gave him. I figured it'd change and he'd start refusing stuff but I thought he'd at least be 2 or so and do it mainly out of will not out of really disliking things (like me when I was tot, if anyone said ICK about anything I'd quit eating it! Even if I previously loved it!) After I got out of my tot stage I'd eat anything again.

My baby is growing up. *sniff, tear*
    Anonymous

• Aww...poor thing. I will say, I still offered those foods and still had him try at least a bite or two. And now, at 14...he will eat it if I put it in front of him...well, most stuff. There are still some things he refuses.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:41 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Give him a couple weeks off of that food and then offer it to him again later, simple as that. My daughter would go off food for a little while and then like it again later. It's totally normal :)
    kameka

Answer by kameka at 5:28 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• He is not too old to be refusing foods. ALL kids go through phases. Most of the time, at your sons age, it is because he doesn't like the texture. Just keep offering the foods along with new ones. It is very normal. There are many foods that I don't like because of taste or texture, same with any person that I know.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:31 PM on Mar. 29, 2010