Did you give your 1 year old peanut butter?

I know, it can be a choking hazard so I would put it on thinly but I was wondering if it is still dangerous as far as developing allergies to it at this age?
She is 13 months.
When did you start giving yours peanut butter?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:31 PM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• mine's been eating peanut butter since about a year...she always wanted normal food since she was 9 months..she still gets a pb&j sandwhich from time to time. just monitor your child and make sure you wait like 3 days to see if they have any kind of reaction after. good luck,
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 2:33 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• my daughter is 3 and basically just started this year eating it........ peanut butter is the one thing when you choke,
    that cannot be "gotten out" unless you are able to amek it to the hospital....even on the squad they dont have the right tools to get it out...
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 2:34 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I gave mine PB at 12 months. My ped said it was okay as long as there are no peanut allergies in the family.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:34 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I think mine may have had it sooner. But, by 1...yeah. He loved a PB sandwich.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:37 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• 21 mos we gave her peanut butter for the first time. I myself am allergic to peanuts ( and turkey) so I held out for a while until DH came home from Iraq and gave her a peanut and honey sandwhich that she loved and had no reaction.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 2:55 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• My daughter had it at a year. No problems with it. We don't have any family history of food allergies.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:22 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• We have no history of allergies. My first daughter was fine at that age. But at 13 months, my second daughter took a peanut butter cracker form her big sister and ended up in the ER. Very scary. If I could do it again, I would have waited. You can never know whether the allergy would have still been there at 2 years, but it's scary enough that I would err on the side of caution and follow the recommendations now, which I think is 2 years even without history of allergy.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:42 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• My son had peanut butter around 13 months - we have no family history of any type of allergies, food or otherwise, on either side so I felt fairly safe. He's 16 months now and loves peanut butter and "jelly" (we use all fruit) sandwiches.

Answer by missanc at 5:15 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• My oldest was about a year...my youngest was closer to 10 mos because she stole her sister's food, lol
    beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 5:32 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• My son was about 10 months old. As long as there are no peanut allergies in your family, go ahead and try it. Just watch for signs of an allergic reaction, as with ANY food you give your child. As to keep it from being really sticky....put butter on one slice of bread and peanut butter on the other.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:29 PM on Mar. 29, 2010