Is your preteen/teenager on medication to modify a behavior disorder they may have?

Over the years, I have struggled against the doctors and child psychiatrists from putting my son on medication. (he is 10 years old now).
Even his past teachers have mentioned that he should be put on something. I have had him evaluated by a child psychologist and his diagnosis is simply called "Distraction Disorder" ...I swear I think they make up names for stuff as they go along. His problem is that he is impulsive,does a lot of things without thinking and then gets into trouble. I think that sums it up pretty well.
I have my reasons for not allowing him to be given these altering medications, they are dangerous, they change attitudes and behavior,they can change the child, I fear future drug addiction, weight gain, weight loss,my fears on it are countless. But he is getting pretty bad now and I'm considering the option. If your is on or has been on a med, can you tell me how it worked out for you guys? Thankyou!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:37 PM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• IF you have so many people recommending meds and you have tried everything else, then maybe you should try the meds. If the meds are dosed correctly, his personality won't change, he will still be the same child. Don't worry about addiction because it has been proven that kids that are on meds for disorders such as ADHD/ADD are LESS likely to become drug addicts later in life. My son went from being impulsive, flunking out of school and depressed. Now that he has been on meds (and he has for 4 years now) he is less impulsive and has been on honor roll a couple of quarters hear and there (he could be all the time if he would just turn in his homework after completing it) and his self esteem has sky rocketed. It was the best decision I made and his personality was NOT changed. He is NOT a zombie, he is NOT addicted to the meds and he is growing like a weed.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:00 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• From personal experience... I think you should try it. I do not like medicine but it can really make a difference on not only a kids preformance but also their emotional well being. I hated school at that age because I just could NOT focus on what was going on and really felt dumb even though I was actually very advanced just because I could not sit still and I was terribbly impulsive and I would just forget to turn my homework in or lose it even though I did it. It made school and my life at that age hard. Medication helps. If you get the dosage right it does not have many side effects. I was and am not a Zombie, my dorky personality is the same it always has been, and I am productive and happier. I do not believe they are addictive at all. I have never heard of anyone I know getting addicted. It takes some time to get the dosage right but it is worth it trust me.
    Tf1990

Answer by Tf1990 at 9:54 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Unmedicated children are more likely to use illegel drugs than medicted children. I would rather medicate my child than let her suffer through school and life. She was lable as the trouble maker and the talker and had very few friends. With medication the good parts of her (personality, sweetness) are still there, but the parts of her she couldn't control are gone (impulsivness, lack of focus). She has friends, does well in school, and is very pleasent to be around. SHE say SHE is happier with medication.
    Anonymous