can a 14 & 15 yr old girls travel on a plane without an adult??

my sisters are coming to visit for summer vac.. but we dont know if they can travel by themselfs!!!

yamil519

Asked by yamil519 at 2:42 PM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Travel

• Call the airline and find out before booking tickets, and also find out what type of ID is necessary for travellers under 18. 14 and 15 is old enough to fly without a grownup on most airlines.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:44 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• They should be able to. Make sure to call the airline and make sure what kind of documentation they will need.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:44 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• They should be able to but the airline should be informed and the flight attendants will watch over them and make sure they were they are supossed to be, my frieds dd had to ride a plane byherself when she was 9 because her dad was unable to bring her home and it was a fam emergency. So a 14 year old and 15 year old should'nt be a problem, but contact the airline to be sure.
    dorsey3

Answer by dorsey3 at 2:46 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• If the kids are escorted by flight personnel it involves an additional fee. It also requires a prearrangement for pick up. I flew from CA half way across the US when I was 14. Depends on the kids. Have they ever flown at all. Are they responsible? Will they need guidance?

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:03 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• yes my sister flew out here (CA) from NJ with our Aunt, but flew back to NJ by herself. She was12 at the time. Some flights offer an escorted to be with the child during the flight but they usually cost extra.My BIL has also flown from Turkey to America by himself many times. The youngest he was, was 8, i believe a child can fly by themselfs starting as young as 5. But check with the airlines.
    lyz826

Answer by lyz826 at 3:11 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• My son did it at 9. He was an "Unaccompanied Minor". Call the airline.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:34 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Call the airlines. My niece and nephew flew all the way from Israel and back on their own. Of course they had their passports because it was international travel, but they were 10 &13 at the time. I think the flight attendants kept an eye on them, but knowing their mother, they weren't specially registered as unaccompanied minors.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:45 AM on Mar. 30, 2010