groceries

I was speaking to a friend who lives in New York City. I mentioned we spend about 400 a month on food. We also have kids. She does not. She gave me a hard time about how much I spend. Do you think 400 for 2 adults, 2 kids is too much? I live a small town in the western part of the USA. Just wondering?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:49 PM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Just for Fun

• You are doing very well to spend only $400 a month for food for a family of 4.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:01 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Depends on really what you get. I mean were you talking junk food with her?
    DH and I can spend 200 dollars a month and be ok but when we really want good food we spend about that much. Food also costs an arm and a leg here.
    I think 400 would be fine for 4 people.
    I mean if you were talking junk then if it were me I would probably say that was too much too.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 2:51 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I spend about $600+ for a family of 5, that includes all the special food for my mom who is on a very strict diet for medical reasons. So I don't see anything wrong with $400. I'm sure we both could spend less if we did a lot of coupon clipping and such, but honestly, I don't have the time!
    Anonymous

• Omg are you seriouse, how the heck do you only spend 400 a month? You need to go shopping with me lol!!!! I spend about $125 a week and its only me, hubby and our 3 yr old. Of course I buy diapers and wipes and dog food still, thats is a little expensive but wow you have two kids and you still only spend $400 a month thats great!!!
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 2:54 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• no between me and my husband and our 1 year old and 3 year old we usually spend close to 500/month.... and we live in a cheap town
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 2:54 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I have no idea how you get by with just $400 a month on groceries. There is just my husband and myself and were not big eaters, nor can we afford high dollar items and we spend a lot more than that. If your feeding 4 on 400 I think your doing great...Just don't know how you do it.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 2:55 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Ms. Owen....$400 is not on junk food. We never eat junk food. But I could how that would be a lot! Oh my!
    Anonymous

• Well, for my son and myself, I spend about $100.00 a month.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:58 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• No that's not a lot. I am sure we go over that for 3 people.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 3:01 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• LOL , I was just saying. I mean you probably would look at someone like they were stupid if they spent 400 on junk ya know.
    I don't eat it either.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 3:02 PM on Mar. 29, 2010