Medical transcriptionists:

I am looking into going back to school in the near future to become a MT...
What is the best/worst thing about your job?
How many hours a week do you work?
How much do you make a week?
How long did you go to school for?
Is it hard?
Do you wear scrubs to work or can you wear what you want?
THANKS!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:21 PM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I'm not one yet, I'm taking classes now to be one though. I can say that the place I'm getting my certification through has told us that to be taken seriously at all you need to do at least 30 hours a week. The amount of money you make depends on how many hours you want to work. The college I'm in has a 12 month course to be completed. It's not the easiest thing ever but it's interesting. And the best thing of all is many MT's work from home.
    Anonymous

• I've had my certification for 9 years and have yet to be able to find a job. I got my certification so I could work from home, but NONE of the hospitals around here allow at-home transcribers, and the companies that do require on average a minimum of 2 years experience. The one time I got things lined up for a sitter for the kids so I could take the job I showed up for work my first day, only to be told the doctor changed his mind about hiring a transcriptionist at all, and decided to do it all himself "so he knew it was right." I haven't tried again since, and that was a year and a half a go.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 3:43 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• My local area doesn't do in house transcription anymore. They hire out mostly companies from florida and such. so my suggestion would be to first call around to local doc's and hospital's to see if that type of work is available.
    StefInfection

Answer by StefInfection at 4:09 PM on Mar. 29, 2010