Would you still think Pot impaired your ability to take care of your children if it were legal?

I use to smoke pot and quit years ago but I do not agree that it imoairs your ability to take care of your children.
Alot of ladies problem with it i see is that is is illegal.
I belive that alcohol realy impairs your ability to take care of children more then pot ever will.
How would you feel about parents who smoked it if it became legal?

rochellecole

Asked by rochellecole at 3:37 PM on Mar. 29, 2010 in About CafeMom

• The misconceptions about the weed in this forum is uncanning. the studies that these misconceptions come from where done with an exorbitant amount of weed in their subjects, only them would you be impaired, unrealistic amounts of the weed that no one not even the heaviest of smokers consume. It does go back to the reefer madness days and the propaganda that until this day still lingers.
    I for one do not beleive that weed impairs anyones ability to take care of your children, as a matter of fact most of the moms I have known to smoke while taking care of their children, have been the most involved mothers around, one of the effects of this plant is the ability to appreciate your surroundings and the beauty in the littlest things, being aware of the beauty of this world that a lot of times we take for granted, relaxing enough to really enjoy quality time with their kids.
    No, I do not think it impairs you in any way.

Answer by older at 8:55 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• It does impair you, good grief.
    Anonymous

• I would still think it was stupid and you shouldn't smoke it as a parent. Same as drinking. If you are going to be home with your kids and drink you are a horrible person in my opinion. You wanna drink and get high send the kids to your parents house for the weekend. At least be that smart.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 3:39 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I used to smoke pot (well, I did it a couple times with my boyfriend at the time) and I would never do it while taking care of children-or while I'm a mother for that matter. Even if it were legal I still wouldn't do it.l I have more sense than that.
    ArkTech

Answer by ArkTech at 3:40 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I would feel the same way about parents who drink when they are with their kids. It is their choice to make but personally I think it is wrong and wouldn't feel comfortable, drinking or smoking, while I am in charge of my kids care, even if it is at night and they are asleep. I also wouldn't feel comfortable trusting my kids to any one who does. But that is my personal opinion and if pot were legal than everyone has the right to make their own decisions. I don't want people telling me what I can and can't do so I am not going to do it to others.
    Anonymous

• I smoked pot once and it was a horrible experience for me. If it affects people the way it affected me that night, there is no way I could say a parent could care for thier children at thier best. It impaired me for sure! LOL. I can laugh about it now but that night, was just awful. And yes, drinking also impairs a persons ability to care for thier children if they get thierselves all tipsy or drunk.
    I'm sure the effect is different for every person, so I suppose I can only speak for myself and I say..no to pot! lol. ick.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:43 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I think smoking a little pot here and there, preferably once your kids are in bed and of course never in front of them, doesn't impair your ability to parent. Nor does having a glass or two of wine under the same circumstances. Getting stoned out of your mind, or completely drunk, definitely impairs your ability to parent. Whether kids are asleep or not, at any moment they could choke, have a seizure, get sick, etc, and if you are wasted off of any substance and unable to provide the proper and necessary care then your ability to parent has been compromised.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:43 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I've never smoked pot, but I have seen it impair my brother's ability to care for his daughter. Not JUST while he's under the influence of it, but also because he can't pass a drug screen to get a job, he lacks all motivation and really just cares about smoking all the time. But also, while he's high, his reflexes are slower, and he doesn't CARE as much as he should about some things, like knowing where she is at all times.

I, personally, believe this is a free nation and as such, as long as what you're doing doesn't hurt someone else, it should be legal, including the use of narcotics. But I do think that it impairs your ability to care for children. If your kids are older, then it's probably not a big deal, but my brother and I have toddlers... they need constant supervision.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 3:45 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Still the same. Legal does not have anything to do with the absolute, scientific fact that it does impair one's ability to think clearly. And yes, so does alcohol. I hate that garbage too though so your comparison does nothing for me. I think parents who do it are stupid and if they do it while they are taking care of children is beyond reprehensible.
    Anonymous

• Yea it impairs you. Are you going to tell me you were the same person you normally are as you were when you were stoned? I agree that Alcohol isn't any better. And I believe if you have plans to drink, you need to make plans for your kids to stay elsewhere. I think legal or not, its a stupid choice.
    Anonymous