C section worries...

I am scheduled monday for a c section, and am really scared about the spinal, and that they will mess it up, and that it hurts, i hate needles! I mean terrified, and I am worried about the recovery time, because i had a natural delivery with my first daughter, and am also worried about not being able to even hold her (19 months) on my lap because of my stitches etc...just hoping someone can put me at ease that has been in this situation...I think I am scared about every aspect of it, the recovery, the pain, the needle, my daughter feeling left out because I can't even hold her...and her seeing me holding the new baby all the time too, I don't want her to feel rejected because I physically can't do anything...No negative responses please!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:49 PM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Pregnancy

• So, if your worried about all the aspects of it, why are you getting one? I think you should tell them that you want a natural birth. Have you done the research on how dangerous c-sections can be?
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 3:51 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Can I ask why they want to do a c-section this time?
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:52 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• They want to do a c section because she is breech, we tried a version, and she turned back, so this is what is left. If i could go natural I would, and am still holding out hope that she will turn by Monday
    Anonymous

• You can turn a baby in labor..A breech baby is not a reason for a c section. Many babies turn while in labor or right before. I wouldn't let them do a c-section. Or at least wait until your in labor and see what happens. A doctor can physically turn a breech baby. Sound like your doctor is quite lazy.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 3:54 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Your fears are valid and I'm sorry you're feeling scared :( The spinal anesthesia almost always goes off without a hitch, but it does sometimes hurt. Your recovery time will be longer and harder than with your first, for sure, so make sure to have help if at all possible.

I didn't have a C-section, but I did have some abdominal surgery last year, and my daughter was just over a year old. You could use a pillow in your lap against your belly and if you insist on your daughter being very careful while she sits with you then she will get the hint pretty quickly. They will give you pain medicine for the recovery and that will make it easier (and it IS safe to use while nursing, just watch for excessive sleepiness).

It won't be any fun for sure, but I think you're scaring yourself more than you need to.

May I ask why you are having a scheduled C-section?
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 3:55 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I have had two c-sections. My first one I was terrified, just like you are now. The second one was a breeze.

The epidural isn't comfortable, that's for sure but they numb the area before they do the spinal so it's more pressure than pain.
    My son was two and a half when I had my daughter and that was one of my biggest worries, not being able to hold him or lift him and having him feel left out.
    I just did minor lifting, like pulling him up onto the couch or my bed for cuddles and I also showed him my incision and told him that I had a big owie and that's why I couldn't lift him up.
    He asked to see it quite a bit and every time he asked, I showed him. He seemed to understand.

I also would ask him to help me with the baby a lot. He got to put the diapers in the garbage can, put her clothes in the laundry basket, help me make bottles, sing to her, gently pat her head, etc...
    He loves her so much and loves helping.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 3:56 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Lol, sorry, you already posted your reason for a C-section.

You CAN find a doctor who will do a breech delivery and you CAN wait until labor starts on it's own if you want to. That's the safest anyway. Baby is sure not to be born too soon, and they get the stimulation of labor before the C-section (it improves outcomes)

Since breech babies can turn even in labor, and because you've already had a vaginal birth, the risk of a vaginal breech delivery is minimal, and probably less than that of the C-section, especially considering that you will likely have a very hard time finding a doctor to do a VBAC if you have more children later.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 3:57 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Oh and I should add that I felt my c-section. The epidural didn't work.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 3:58 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• You shouldn't lift her, but you can hold her in your lap.
    The epi didn't bother me at all, but I was in labor and in so much pain allready....
    I had staples not stitches, and they were removed before I left the hospital.
    Of course there is pain, but I would imagine there is also pain with vaginal delivery. (I had an emergency c - never had vaginal so I don't know)
    Good luck.
    Try to relax.
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 4:00 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• SaraP1989
    Oh and I should add that I felt my c-section. The epidural didn't work.

I call BULL SHIT on this one!!
    Anonymous