what is your take on this?

i have a co-worker that is in the same position as me that the manager allows her to put herself in charge of making the schedule and other things. Sometimes it is un-fair because she shows favortism to people that she favors. This week she only gave me one day off instead of my regular 2 and she gave herself 3. I am really beginning to get pissed off at the situation and i don't even think i can go to the manager about it because they seem to be "buddy buddy." I have gone to the manager about things in the past about her before and the manager has pretty much told me if i can't work in a team then i can hit the door. Is this something i should go strait to human resources with or would it be wrong to do without consulting my manager about things first.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:53 PM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Money & Work

• Do you have set days off or an open schedule? That matters a lot with scheduling.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 3:55 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Do you all get paid on a salary wage? or hourly? If it is hourly, then she is losing money as it is, but I would still go to your manager first, if you get the same response, then to HR, because it is unfair.
    december911

Answer by december911 at 3:58 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Well, I would try the manager one more time- show him/her the schedule and your side of the story. Go in with a problem AND a solution- how would you change it to make it more equitable. If they give you the whole be a team player song and dance, say very calmly- I have worked hard for this position and I do not want to be pushed out over something so easily fixable, I don't want to escalate this, but if I need to go to HR to protect myself then that is what I will have to do. You need to take all the personal out of it- no accusing of playing favorites, ect... stick to the facts and what you feel is equitable- good luck!
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 3:59 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• we both work for tips and get paid the same amount hourly. She is nothing! She shouldnt be doing schedules.
    Anonymous

• I agree with soyousay. However you might consider slipping an anonymous note to hr that she is doing the scheduling. And I'd also tell your manager that you are a team player and you put forth your fair share of the work.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 7:03 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Is it possible that the co-worker is being trained in an assistant manager position without your knowledge? Word of advice...it's best to just confront the situation, if you go over your manager's head, it won't be a good thing. They are the ones that you have to work with, not HR. When I was a manager, if there was conflict between two workers, I would bring them both in the resolve it. I would say that if, after you have brought this up to your manager and nothing is done...then go to HR. You have rights as an employee and if he does fire you, then you can file for unemployment, depending on the circumstances.
    clhadley

Answer by clhadley at 7:47 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• So, you're complaining about having the opportunity to earn more than her this week. Look, in work situations, some people are going to be "groomed" to move up. It may be that she is that person. If you're not happy about it, don't be a shrinking violet. What can you do to improve your performance, or kiss-ass skills, so you can be that person?
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 7:54 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Have you gone to this person and tried talking with her? If she is doing the scheduling, let her know that you would prefer 2 days off. She may think that you want the extra money/hours. As far as her being "nothing", and making the same as you, well, she is probably being trained for 3rd key or the manager is delegating some of his responsibilities out to the employees he thinks would be good at it. Trust me, making the same wage, but having more responsibilities is not all its cut out to be. Yes, she gets to make her own schedule, but I am sure there are more things that she does that takes up her time or cuts into her tips. Where I work at, I make the same as my co-workers, but I have double their responsibilities. Right now it can be a pain but I know in the long run, it will run me my raise and promotion that I have worked hard at.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:03 AM on Mar. 30, 2010