anyone else got a boader collie? can u give me advice please?

so many ppl keep saying i need to give this dog a job...what does this mean???
can anyone else give me advice on boarder collies?!?!!

sandraberke

Asked by sandraberke at 3:54 PM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Pets

• Having a job means making them feel needed for something. They're not particularly COW-DOGS, but they are a herding dog. Here's my example for you.

Every morning at 5am, DH and Jess (our bc/aust. shep cross) headed out to work. With 56,000 acres to ride and check cattle, DH climbed on his horse and headed out. 14-18 miles later, they reached the place the herd was scattered. Jess would help DH gather the cattle, count the cattle, sort the cattle. This entailed running like mad around, in, behind, before, and nipping the cattle that wouldn't move, Jess was constantly running. Then, when DH was done with the herd, they headed back. DH on his horse, Jess trailing alongside, for another 14-18 MILES. That's 28-36 miles a day, WITH WORK between. When she got home, she wanted to play ball. And playing ball for her isn't just, "Throw the ball, she'll run away with it." It was she brought it back, and expected you to throw it again.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:18 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• You can get them a backpack and train them to carry stuff for you on walks. Just having the backpack on them helps them feel useful.

Border collies are cow dogs, and they definately need to be occupied. They need lots of room and they need to have a job. Since it's likely you don't live on a ranch, the best thing to do is to play lots of fetch, get a doggy packpack and take long walks every day.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 4:01 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• It means that you need to do something with it like flyball,Agility, herding, canine freestyle, something that will keep it stimulated and active. Border Collies are very intelligant dogs and can get bored every easily if they are not given enough excerise or stimulation from one of activities I mentioned.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 5:16 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• yup, they are working dogs and they need a daily job. Anything that they think is their job. My sister will only own border collies and she gives them the job of going to the mailbox daily and "searching" the woods around her pond. Weird I know, but they do, they go out and flush out all the birds and frogs and squirrels and once completed they are content to go back in the house for the night. I've had 2, one was a terrific dog and one was just too active for us so we had to foster him out to a new family. They just want to do something to get excercise and earn their keep, while looking for acceptance from you.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:39 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Jess will bring the ball back, (rock, stick, leaf, trash, bug, anything you throw is a ball for her... you tell her, "Get your toy." and she'll find something you can throw.) and expect you to throw it until your arm practically falls off. LITERALLY.

Your dog needs to be played with constantly, and if the mind is not occupied (not just the body needs exercise, the dog's mind needs it... hide and seek with a favorite toy is great!) the dog WILL find something to occupy itself. This will include finding a way out of the house/yard/kennel, chewing a hole through ANYTHING, (Jess ate her Kong, btw) and will pick up habits like digging, barking, chasing, jumping, etc. Your dog can also benefit from trips to the park pond or lake where there are ducks present, and let him/her exercise the innate herding skills. The more the brain is exercised, the more tired the dog will be at the end of the day, and the better off you'll be! GL!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:23 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Oh, and the game, "Wait for it, wait, OK!" is a good one too. You can play it like Simon-Says, and your dog will be stoked to practice self-control. Once you get the fetch and the stay commands down pat, you can practice "Wait!" by getting your dog in a down-stay, throwing the toy, and the first few times you may have to hold your dog, but once he/she figures out waiting is what you want, say, "OK!" and encourage your dog to get the toy you threw. This game will also come in handy when you have guests at the door, so they're not bombarded with an excited dog, you can tell your dog to wait, to prevent bolting or getting overly excited.

I use this game on my rattie, before I let her out to potty, I say, "Wait...." and I open the door, let her look out, and once she relaxes, I say, "OK!" and she goes out. It makes her more excited to listen to me when there are games involved.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:29 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• We use to have a border collie, australian cattle dog mix, which is also a working dog. Best dog I"ve evern known in my life! We use to hide balls out in the woods for him and tell him to find them. He would NOT come back until he found that ball on time I thought he wasn't going to come back at all it took him hours! We'd hide his toys in the house and do the same. He was so smart he would always get the exact toy we told him too.
    One time when we went camping with the whole extended family we had about 15 kids with us some were teenagers but he still took it upon himself to "herd" the children at night. We all thought it was funny. The kids made a game of it, see who could outrun Boston and escape the herd.
    *sigh* I miss that dog.
    Anonymous

• Bubba, my 6 month old, Lab mix/ Border Collie mix has made it his job to give kisses to everyone he meets. He is also in training to become a service/companion/therapy dog. He loves his backpack and wears it whenever we go anywhere.
    He has also made it his job to watch my 4 month old daughter.
    SouthernRoses

Answer by SouthernRoses at 11:27 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Eww... dog kisses. Yuck. Mine would get punted across the yard for that.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:24 AM on Apr. 2, 2010