Weaning off paci?

Does anyone have any clever ideas on how to wean a 22-month-old from the paci? He will be two in may and is still highly attached to the paci. I don't want to do cold turkey and he is still a little too young to understand the paci fairy.

landontsmama08

Asked by landontsmama08 at 4:03 PM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Built a bear Bring the paci with you and make a bear and put the paci in the bear he still has the paci but not in his mouth. I did it 3 weeks ago with my DD and it was a little bit of an issue for a week then not an issue any longer. She will be 2 in the end of May also. If you want to talk more then E-mail me anytime.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 4:07 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Have you tried to limit it to just his crib? That was our first step, telling him it had to stay in his bed - my big thing was I didn't want it interfering with his speech development. He's only 16 months and I'm still fine with him using it at night, and if we're going on long car rides (2.5 hours to the beach). With my oldest, we just "lost" it one night finally when he was just over 2. It was a big deal for one night and then he was okay and never asked for it again. Not sure what route we'll take with my little one, but the bear idea sounds really cool - I like that!

Answer by missanc at 5:13 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• When my daughter was 2 I just explained to her that she was a big girl and big girls didn't use pacis anymore. I had her collect all of them and then SHE threw them into the trash. She asked for it once and I reminded her she was a big girl again and she said "that's right, I'm a big girl!" and that was it. I had a friend who cut the tip off of all the pacis so it wasn't fun to suck on anymore. That may work too but I'm more into the straight-forward approach.
    kameka

Answer by kameka at 5:25 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• My son quite all by himself when he was one. One day he was a freakoid if he didn't have one, the next I offered him one and he looked at it like "what on earth is that". So I threw them all away. But that doesn't help you any does it? Well, when my twins were two I decided it was time to ditch the bottles and move to sippy cups. So we had a bottle throwing away ceremony where we stood at the trash cans and pitched them one-by-one "bye-bye bottles". Maybe you could try something like that.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 6:34 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I've heard of tying it to a BIG stuffed animal that they need both hands to carry. They can play or have a paci their choice!
    RiverDaughter

Answer by RiverDaughter at 9:41 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Thank you for all the suggestions! I'll definitely being giving them a shot soon.
    landontsmama08

Answer by landontsmama08 at 3:11 PM on Mar. 31, 2010