Meeting dd first boyfriend - what to do?

What's "proper etiquette" on meeting a first boyfriend? She's 16, he's 17, 18 next month.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:12 PM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• As the mother of an almost 17 yo dd, I can tell you the first time a boy came to the house was scary for everyone!!! But I want them here where I can see them! First make sure your dd knows what is expected of her and what behavior allowed in YOUR house, and that that behavior is what you expect of her when she is at his house. It is important to be polite, even if you don't want to! I ask questions about his family, siblings, that kind of thing. Small talk. I would let them have some time alone, not much and all doors are open, no bedrooms. EVER!! Only when I am comfortable with the situation is she allowed at his house. That has backfired on me lately, so we are back to here! Public dates or with other friends is the best way. But they will find a way to do what they want. Be honest and open and trusting of you dd and she will of you. Good luck, I know for me it isn't always easy.
    wallmom1

Answer by wallmom1 at 4:37 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• i would hand him a condom and tell him he'd better keep his sucker wrapped
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 4:15 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Be polite, welcome him to the family and treat him as you would treat any other guest in your house. (And don't tell any embarrassing stories about DD lol.) You need to foster a healthy, fairly adult, relationship with him and DD to be sure that they are comfortable with you as a parent and support system. Good luck with him, I'm SO glad we don't have a daughter!!
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 4:15 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Answer the door with a shotgun in hand. Let him watch you and hubby clean the guns while waiting on your daughter. Or I guess (tho it wouldn't be as much fun) you could just treat him the way you'd treat any other guest in your home. But also somehow, make sure he knows who the boss is (this is when I'd bring out the guns, lol). Ugh, I dread the day my 3 year old grows up.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 4:23 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Do you have a younger child (elemenarty school age) or can you borrow one??? Get the little one to ask a ton of personal quetstions... get him talking. It wont be as embarassing if the little kid says something like "Are you going to kiss my sister tonight?" "Have you ever kissed before" etc.
    Anonymous