Bloody nose?

With my first 2 children I never got a bloody nose. WIth this one tho I am 13 week 3 days and I keep getting them. I was just sitting on the floor playing with my daughter and my nose starts dripping blood. What is the deal? Is that a normal pregnancy thing? It is so frustrating.

Mrs.Owen86

Asked by Mrs.Owen86 at 4:30 PM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I had them pretty much constantly during pregnancy. Doc said it was normal. :)
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 4:33 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Grr lol thanks. It is annoying beyond belief.

Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 4:34 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• gosh all i remember was that my gums would bleed.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 4:35 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• While you are pregnant, the respiratory tract lining receives more blood. This is a result of certain hormones that stimulate the blood flow in the body. As a result, the respiratory tract is often much more congested, which may also lead to nosebleeds. Bloody nose is increased in pregnancy probably because there is more nasal congestion. This is a noticeable problem in Obstetrical practices during the dry winter months. Bleeding usually stops with gentle pressure to the nasal bridge. Humidifiers, applying Vaseline to the inside of the nose at night, using saline nasal sprays, and avoiding “nose picking” can reduce nosebleeds during pregnancy.

vdr1983

Answer by vdr1983 at 4:35 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I just read about that in a book called The Pregnancy Bible. It says: "High levels of progesterone and estrogen result in increased blood flow throughout your body, causing the lining of your nasal passages to become swollen. This can lead to congestion and over-production of mucus. This increased bood flow also puts pressure on your nose's delicate veins, making you more prone to nose-bleeds. What you can do about it: Increase your intake of fluids. Humidify your home, especially your bedroom at night. Prop your head up when you sleep. With severe congestion, consider using a saline nasal spray. Don't use medication or medicated nasal sprays unless prescribed by your healhcare provider. Blow your nose gently to avoid inducing bleeding. Eat vitamin C-rich foods, as these will help strengthen your capillaries and help prevent nosebleeds."
    Phew hope that helps.
    Anonymous

• happened to me all the time.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:43 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Thanks ladies!!
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 5:14 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Just read about this at www.nasalcease.com - who knew?
    Jacqui902

Answer by Jacqui902 at 2:43 PM on Mar. 30, 2010