Where can I find NORMAL slender plain carseats?!

Remember the good ol' days? Before people thought babies needed carseats with recliners, reading lights, swivel seats, cupholderts, giant padding? The normal carseats that are slender, light weight, with no extras? I WANT ONE! No, I need two actually. I have a 4 year old in a booster seat and twin boys that NEED forward facing carseats, NOW. My dilema-I need the three seats to fit across the back seat of my car, without having to stack my daughter's booster seat on top of the belt buckles!!! Please help if you can! I've searched the internet and I'm not really getting anywhere. And no, Walmart didn't even have them. I figured they'd have cheap little seats, but no... They too think my 9 months old need recliners with reading lights for a car ride. The key... 9 month olds DON'T READ!

DesJordan

Asked by DesJordan at 5:35 PM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The Sunshine Kids Radian carseats are supposed to be narrow enough to fit 3 across. Keep in mind that the AAP now recommends baby sit rear facing until at least 2 yrs old.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:45 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Are you kidding me? I can't carry them in rear facing carseats anymore. Have they ever tried to carry 2 twenty + lb babies into the doctor's office in a rear facing carseat??? :( It's impossible, I have to drag people with me to help me carry my kids!
    DesJordan

Answer by DesJordan at 5:53 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• You shouldn't be leaving them in their carseats anyway. And if they're 9 months old it's LAW that they be rear facing until 12 months.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 6:15 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I just got the plain cheap o ones at walmart. They don't have reading lights. (50 a piece) You can check your local second hand stores or even ebay. And then just get a double stroller. They make them were the fold up fairly small now. You can even fit all 3 kids in there MUCH easier.
    GL momma!
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 6:26 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• You don't need to carry the seat. Take the child out of the seat. Carry the child. I agree that you must leave your child rear facing (but it doesn't have to be in an infant seat) until they are AT LEAST 12 mos old AND 20 lbs, preferably much longer.  Most convertible seats allow for RF up to 35 lbs, and the Sunshine Kids Radian seats (which I believe might RF even longer then 35 if you choose) are very slim seats which usually fit 3 across in almost any car.

Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:29 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• You are aware that there are convertible car seats (NOT INFANT SEATS) that rear face, right? Once baby is old enough ONE YEAR AND 20 lbs (it's a LAW) you can forward face them if you wish, however most allow for continued rear facing until 35 pounds. And that's the safest option anyway. I had 3 car seats in the back of my Toyota Camry, so it can be done. Costco Screnea's (available at wal-mart) are rather compact. No fancy bells and whistles. And at $50 a pop, pretty affordable too. You can rear face until the law says (and hopefully longer!) then you can forward face them in the SAME seat.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 6:50 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• The car seats stay in the car, you take the babies out of the seats when you get out of the car.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:04 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• You need convertible seats for your twins... they HAVE to stay rear facing... it's the LAW it's not an option to forward face them, and even at 1 years old it's incredibly dangerous. As far as a light weight no frills seat for them, look into the Cosco Scenera... it's usually under $50 (I have heard that some Kmarts right now have them on sale for $35!) they rear face to 35 lbs and forward to 40 lbs. They are not the kind of seat that you take out of the car.... the reason you are finding cup holders and reading lights is because you are looking at seats that are for PRESCHOOLERS not babies.... you can't put 9 month olds in forward facing seats.
    For your 4 year old he should also still be in a harnessed seat for his safety.... but if you are going with a booster look at the Graco Turbo Booster it's very narrow.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:56 PM on Mar. 29, 2010