Is there a 'legal' age for kids to walk home from school by theirselves?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:26 PM on Mar. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• may i ask how old your kids are?

I don't think their is a legal age. When I went to school kids use to walk home but they
    had to bring a note to school letting them know they were walking.
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 6:40 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• No there is not. It has to do with how the can cross streets by themselfs.
    Anonymous

• I don't think so, but in this day and age, I wouldn't let my kids walk home by themselves. If they're a part of a group of 3 or more, or if there is an adult walking with them-- great. Otherwise, we will arrange for one of us to walk with our son or be part of a carpool.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 7:04 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Buddy Buddy system. I don't think it is safe for ANYONE to walk alone. Sad feeling. Not like it use to be.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 7:07 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• he's almost 10, there is one street that he has to walk across, but there is a crossing guard. we live close to the school and there are other kids that ride bikes to and from school that live in our neighborhood, we were just curious as to if there are laws about it or not, thanks ladies!
    Anonymous

• I used to walk home from school when I was 6. The school was right across the street, and my mom could see me out the window. My siblings and I were allowed to walk a few blocks to the candy store as well.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 9:25 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• there probably should be some kinda law with an age requirement.

rochellecole

Answer by rochellecole at 12:17 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• In my world, never! I don't trust anyone and there are no "do overs" when it comes to your child being abducted. No way no how am I letting even my teens walk anywhere by themselves.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:34 AM on Mar. 30, 2010