I'm getting mean collector's phone calls not for us! How to stop them?

I've been getting mean collector's phone calls! Not for us! For someone thatshares my DH's last name! We're not related to them at all! They keep calling and even got our tracfone numbers & call us! I have urgent medical & cancer calls coming and then these people keep calling! My phone never stops ringing.
Its frustrating us to no end. How can I stop this? So far its Chase and Capitol services and local bills. Its really hurting us. We're on the national no call list and we're fed up. Can we stop this?

Angellinda

Asked by Angellinda at 7:32 PM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Just for Fun

• If your on the national do not call list, go to their website and report them.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 7:34 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Collections don't go by that list. What you can do tho is report the collection company. I can't remember the website but if you google it you can report them. That is illegal for them to harass you when you have stated it is NOT your debt. It is illegal even if it was your debt. Ill google real quick and see if I can find the site for you.

Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 7:37 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Ah found it. link to report is at the bottom

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/credit/cre18.shtm

Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 7:39 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• No, collections agencies generally don't fall under the do not call list BUT it's not her debt so they are simply harassing her. We used to get phone calls for my SIL's debts ALL the time and reporting them did stop them from calling.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 7:40 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• You have to talk to them and tell them it is not you. We had someone calling for someone with the same first letter of the first name and last name as my husband calling all the time and leaving messages. We just got on the phone and said that person did not live there. Get someone on the phone and the calls will stop. I don't understand how they got your cell phone number though.
    Anonymous

• The next time they call, ask to speak with their manager/supervisor. Explain the situation that it isn't you nor is it anyone in your house...or family. It never works getting angry at the person calling, so just do it calmly. It is odd that they got your cell number. Definitely ask to speak to their boss.
    clhadley

Answer by clhadley at 7:50 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Let them know that they get wrong number and stop harrassing you
    CANDYMOR

Answer by CANDYMOR at 8:03 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• You call them - call their customer care number, ask to speak to a supervisor. Explain that you do NOT have an account with them (or that you don't have an account in arrears, whichever it is). BUT - that you are getting harassing calls from them for someone else's debt. Explain the situation to them and say if you continue to get calls, then you're going to file harassment charges, since this is NOT your debt.

You might also have to say this to the people who call. Like a pp said, ask to speak to their supervisor. Do NOT give them your social security number or anything like that. Tell them that you are NOT ___ or his wife. If they try to get you to give personal info to prove you aren't them, tell them that the burden of proof is on them, that THEY have to prove you owe this, and since you know you don't, you don't want them to call you again. That all communications they have with you must be in writing.

gl!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:07 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• There's no way around it but reporting it. We were in the same boat, and the guy had my husband's first and last name AND middle initial. It was awful, they were calling me on my cell phone, and we weren't even married at the time. We reported it, and it looks like we used the same link as above.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 8:07 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I heard that they can be sued for calling you, EVEN if it is you they want and you do owe them money. I heard a story of someone who paid off their debts just by suing the collection agents for calling. But, I have no idea how you'd go about it.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 8:12 PM on Mar. 29, 2010