juice or water?

My son is gona be 5 months in about a week in half I just started him on baby food not too long ago he's big for his age over 16lbs n hes formula fed putting him down at night is getting more difficult he still wakes up to eat during the night and during the day seems its getting Impossible he doesn't wana take his naps anymore but I kinda got him In a bad habit of letting him fall asleep to drinking his milk I don't wana keep giving him milk but its hard for him to settle down without it n its getting harder could I give him baby juice ? I've been letting him like 1-2oz of water that does help but he still cries after hes done I'm a young single mom so its even harder but I just don't know what to do n I feel bad when he cries for a while ...

Kri5taa

Asked by Kri5taa at 7:53 PM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They say to not give them much juice, especially if he's eating baby food getting servings of fruit, they don't need the juice. Fromula and water is all you should be really giving him right now. And if you do give him juice, make sure you cut it with water, half water, half juice. Try to stay away from juice for now if you can...water is much much better for him.
    Anonymous

• Babies don't really need juice or water. Just formula or breastmilk to drink until they are a year.
    Anonymous

• if hes acting like he wants more milk, its because he does. give him more milk to go to sleep, thats fine. but i would give him water too. not in a bottle though, out of sippy cup. just to have a couple times through out the day, like after you feed him baby food.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 8:10 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I'm just scared to keep giving him milk my mom n grandmom keep telling hes gona get fat cus he's big already I'm not too worried cus hes still little but I do want him to get out of the habit of waking up for milk throughout the night n isn't he still too small for a sippy cup? I'll stay with the water for a while n ill see if he takes a sippy cup
    Kri5taa

Answer by Kri5taa at 8:20 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• You are overfeeding your baby. You need to figure out other ways to take care of your baby than to feed all the time. Overweight formula fed babies can have lifelong weight problems.

Babies and toddlers should have no more than 4 oz of juice a day. If the baby is big the baby should have no juice at all. The American Academy of Pediatrics is very concerned about overweight babies and toddlers and urges parents to eliminate or limit juice.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:15 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Honey, don't worry about his weight. My first son is 19 months now and at 12 months he weighed 32 pounds, he is now 28. Once he started running around each month the pounds dropped. And my now almost 6 month old weighs 20 pounds. I serve him a babyfood, now 2.5 oz at 8am shortly after he wakes. Then around 10 or 11 he takes a 6-7oz bottle and a short half hour nap. Around 1:30 he has 6-7oz and naps a long time. At 5 I give him 2oz formula with rice cereal and a little while later I just started giving him 2oz juice w 2oz water. At 6 another bottle. Then at 8 he drinks8oz and goes to sleep usually til 3 or 4. Then has another 7oz. But some days he is off that "schedule" but I always feed on demand. Babies are supposed to be fat too, that is what their brains need for healthy development. When they get active they will start loosing. That's why at a year you put them on whole milk, for the fat their brains need. It's healthy fat
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 9:19 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• are you giving him rice cereal yet? he probably is ready for rice cereal, fruit & veggies also. i started my son on all of that at 4 and a half months old.
    BTW my son is 10 months, and weighs 23 pounds. people tell me how big he is all the time, but i dont think thats a bad thing. babys have some baby fat.
    i started giving my son water with a sippy cup around 4 months. he didnt hold the sippy cup himself though.
    also, im not saying you should give him milk every single time he crys.. but if hes hungry, give him milk. he knows if hes hungry or not. hes a growing boy!!
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:25 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I mostly give him baby food and formula some days more baby food than milk than ill give him a little water when hes eating but he seems happy either way I don't feed him everytime he cries lol I was just saying he goes down easier with a bottle while he falls asleep especially at night I feed him every 3-4 hours he does sleep once hes down but he will still wake every few hours for milk...I think he's still young for weight issues but I can understand I do want him to get use to something other than his milk
    Kri5taa

Answer by Kri5taa at 9:52 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• And I tried cereal he doesn't like it so I figured I didn't wana force it yet
    Kri5taa

Answer by Kri5taa at 9:54 PM on Mar. 30, 2010